Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

cblas_dscal metdod

Selin_S_
Beginner

Hello,

I implemented below code segment to compare "memset", "for loop" and "cblas_dscal (Intel MKL)".  

The test results are as:

memset: G0 = 0.000000 6954 ns

for: G0 = 1.000000 38741 ns

MKL: G0 = 2.000000 12911294 ns
MKL: G0 = 4.000000 13907 ns
MKL: G0 = 8.000000 10264 ns
MKL: G0 = 16.000000 10265 ns

As seen above first MKL cblas_dscal calculation is 12911294 ns but after first iteration it is decreased to 13907 ns.

I want to learn what makes first cblas_dscal call to take such high amount of time? And how can I make this call to take less time?

My code is:

#include "stdafx.h"
#include "mkl_dfti.h"
#include "mkl.h"
#include <windows.h>

static LARGE_INTEGER freq;

DWORD getTimeInNanoSec()
{
   LARGE_INTEGER counterCurrent;
   QueryPerformanceCounter(&counterCurrent);   

//frequency gives the tick number in 1 second, therefore we need to multiply with 1000000000 to get nanoseconds
   return counterCurrent.QuadPart * (1000000000) / freq.QuadPart;
}

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{
    MKL_Complex16 *xxx;

const int N = 10240;
    DWORD start , end;
    double* G= NULL;
    int idx = 0;

//set timer counters frq
    QueryPerformanceFrequency(&freq); //ticks per secon

G = (double*)malloc(N*sizeof(double));//not used

//1. memset
    start = getTimeInNanoSec();
    memset(G,0x0,N*sizeof(double));
    end = getTimeInNanoSec();
    printf("memset: G0:%f %llu ns\n\n", G[100], end - start);

//2. for
    for(idx = 0;idx < N ;idx = idx=idx+5)
    {
       G[idx] = 1.0;
       G[idx+1] = 1.0;
       G[idx+2] = 1.0;
       G[idx+3] = 1.0;
       G[idx+4] = 1.0;

}
    printf("for: G0:%f %llu ns\n\n", G[100], end - start);

//3. mkl blas
    for(idx = 0;idx <4 ;idx++)
    {
        cblas_dscal(N, 2.0 , G , 1 );
        printf("MKL: G0:%f %llu ns\n\n", G[100], end - start);
    }

getchar();
    return 0;
}

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Murat_G_Intel
Employee

Hello,

First call to an MKL routine performs MKL and OpenMP initialization. The initialization overheads may be significant especially for Level1 functions, which have relatively small execution times. One can do a warm-up MKL function call to exclude the initialization costs during the performance measurements (essentially ignoring the time required for your first iteration).

Unfortunately, there is not much one could do to avoid the initialization costs. If an MKL function is multithreaded, one can try running it sequentially to minimize the OpenMP initialization costs. However, I think MKL dscal is not threaded currently.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

If you used Intel C++ both a memset and a normal for loop performing the same operation would be replaced by the same Intel optimized function from the Intel C++ library.  That would use streaming stores if it found the array large enough.  I don't know if the Microsoft memset would do so.  It appears that you have been able to defeat the normal optimization of your compiler.  

dscal doesn't do the same operation as memset.  It has to be expected to take longer, even after the MKL initialization is complete, as it has to perform twice as many memory operations, besides the arithmetic.

Successful threading of the operation would speed it up (not by 2x) on a dual CPU platform, maybe not on a single CPU. 

0 Kudos