Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6981 Discussions

differece between cluster ed. and non-cluster ed.

gary000
Beginner
What is the difference between the cluster edition and the non-cluster edition of MKL? I'm especially interested in the install process differences.

Thanks
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The non-cluster version has no MPI support, but (in the extended version) includes all components useful in serial and OpenMP modes. It is easier to install, as it doesn't ask for a list of nodes on the cluster and attempt to log in to all of them (including the one node on a single node cluster); it simply installs once on the machine where you run the install. Even MPI applications, where use of MKL is local to each process, can use the non-cluster MKL, provided that any required dynamic libraries are installed (or NFS mounted) on each node.
0 Kudos
gary000
Beginner
It would seem that there are a few more differences here. This line is from the downloads page on the intel site.

"The Cluster Edition of Intel MKL contains all the functionality in the base Intel MKL package, PLUS support for ScaLAPACK and distributed memory FFTs."

And since I need ScaLAPACK support, does this mean I *must* use the cluster edition (thought it won't install, I may have to dig into the install).
0 Kudos