Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

gemv for sparse, rectangular matrices?

damienhocking
New Contributor I

Is there a recommended routine in the MKL that can do a GEMV with the transpose of a rectangular sparse matrix?  I know I can pad it to square but I'd prefer not to have to do that.  These sparse matrices could be large, 10 million+ nonzeroes and a million rows or columns. 

Damien

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Zhen_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi,

mkl_?<format>gemv is designed for square, but mkl_?<format>mv can be used for rectangular matrix (m * k). Or, you could use Inspector-execute sparse function mkl_sparse_?_mv, normally would provide a better performance. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Zhen_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You provided BLAS level 2 function for sparse matrix. For sparse matrix, we normally use compressed data structure that Intel MKL supports CSR, CSC, COO, diagonal and skyline. You could learn more from developer reference about usage with different matrix structure& data compression format:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/520802

0 Kudos
damienhocking
New Contributor I

Yes, but the docs are all for a square m x m matrix.  I have rectangular matrices.  

0 Kudos
Zhen_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi,

mkl_?<format>gemv is designed for square, but mkl_?<format>mv can be used for rectangular matrix (m * k). Or, you could use Inspector-execute sparse function mkl_sparse_?_mv, normally would provide a better performance. 

0 Kudos
damienhocking
New Contributor I

Thank you Fiona, that's exactly what I wanted.

0 Kudos