Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

ifort: error #10031

drimago
Beginner
Hi all,
First of all I have to say that I am a complete newbie when it comes to fortran on linux. I have used fortran before but not in a complex environment like a cluster and definitely not with lapack and all that.
So what I have now is a server running debian which i want to use to run some fortran code. the problem i am having is the following:
I want to compile a program called test.f90 so i write:
ifort test.f90 -o -lmkl_lapack -lmkl_blas
and i get the following error
ifort: error #10031: could not write to argument file '/tmp/ifortegHH3Earg'
and I have ho clue why or what to do about it.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction as to how to solve this issue?
Cheers,
Lucian
0 Kudos
1 Solution
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
The MKL libraries are in different directories than the compiler runtime and other libraries. By default, the compiler will not search for libraries in the MKL lib directory. Use the -mkl compiler option for simple jobs, and use the MKL Link Line Advisor for more intricate jobs.

Do not attempt to use the LAPACK-95 and BLAS-95 libraries unless your code calls the Fortran-95 interface routines.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
drimago
Beginner
Ok it turns out that test.f90 had errors. But now I have other problems:
it seems that the way I was trying to use lapack and blas libraries is not the right way. the command
ifort test.f90 -o-lmkl_lapack -lmkl_blas
yelds: cannot find lmkl_blas. I did a search and there is a libmkl_lapack95 and same for blas. Modified the command but the same result: cannot find...
What am I doing wrong?
Cheers,
Lucian
0 Kudos
mecej4
Honored Contributor III
The MKL libraries are in different directories than the compiler runtime and other libraries. By default, the compiler will not search for libraries in the MKL lib directory. Use the -mkl compiler option for simple jobs, and use the MKL Link Line Advisor for more intricate jobs.

Do not attempt to use the LAPACK-95 and BLAS-95 libraries unless your code calls the Fortran-95 interface routines.
0 Kudos
drimago
Beginner
Hi mecej4,
Thank you for your reply. After a lot of pushing and prodding I managed to figure out what the comand for ifort was supposed to be.
ifort -mkl test.f90 -o test
This created an executable file which ran my test program with no problem. This means that the mkl option tells the compiler to look for the libraries itself. I thought that I was supposed to tell the compiler which libraries to use like I was trying to do with the previous command. Eh well I am glad is working now.
AS for the lapack95 and blad95 this was a desperate attempt to make it working so no worries there. I will be making code that only calls for the mkl routines since this seems like the simple option.
Thank you very much for your help and excuse my newbie-ness!
Lucian
0 Kudos