Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
7019 Discussions

memory overwrite when using cluster solver with one MPI process

Charlotte_Ching
Beginner

I tried to run cluster solver with one MPI process to solve a symmetric sparse linear system. 

The software settings are:

• mkl 2022.2.0
  • windows 10
  • c++

The parameter are defined as follows

iparm[0] = 1; // no solver default
iparm[1] = 3; // parallel version of the nested dissection algorithm
iparm[5] = 1; // write solution to b
iparm[7] = 2; // max numbers of iterative refinement steps
iparm[9] = 8; // perturb pivot tolerance
iparm[10] = 1; // use nonsymmetric permutation and scaling MPS
iparm[12] = 1; // maximum weighted matching
iparm[27] = 0; // double precision
iparm[34] = 1; // C-style indexing
iparm[39] = 2; // distributed input
iparm[59] = 0; // cluster sparse solver mode

Since we write solution to b, I suppose the input for solution can be a dummy double. So I create a dummy double `ddum` and use `&ddum` as input for solution . 

It works when I run with multiple processes. However, if I run with single process, it will overwrite the memory at the address of the solution. I check the length of the overwritten memory, it is of the size of the linear system (The example I test is 1188). I tried with a very small matrix (3x3), it did not give me any error.

Could anyone help me with the problem? 

0 Kudos
4 Replies
VarshaS_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for posting in Intel Communities.

We had tried with the sample example(C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\mkl\latest\examples\examples_cluster_c.zip\c_mpi\cluster_sparse_solver\source\cl_solver_sym_sp_0_based_c.c) where it is using cluster_sparse_solver, we are able to run the code without any errors with single and multiple processes.

VarshaS_Intel_0-1687864469778.png

Could you please provide us with the complete sample reproducer code(data file if any) along with the steps if you had followed to investigate more on your issue?

Thanks & Regards,

Varsha

0 Kudos
Charlotte_Ching
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

For the example you tested, you can try set ipam[5] = 1 (write solution to b) and print the x array. Cluster solver will write values to x as well.

0 Kudos
VarshaS_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please let us know what exact errors you are getting at the time of running the code on a single process?

And also, could you please let us know what compilation and running commands you are using for your code?

Thanks & Regards,

Varsha

0 Kudos
VarshaS_Intel

Hi,

We have not heard back from you. Could you please let us know what exact errors you are getting at the time of running the code on a single process?

And also, could you please let us know what compilation and running commands you are using for your code?

Thanks & Regards,

Varsha

0 Kudos