Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

mkl routines for upper triangular matrices

numerix1
Beginner

Dear MKL users,

I am a bit confused with how to use mkl routines for upper triangular matrices. For example. I have the matrix:

1.000000  2.000000  3.000000  
0.000000  4.000000  5.000000  
0.000000  0.000000  8.000000

which I store row major format via:

the array data of size num_columns by num_rows with entry i,j stored as

data[i*num_cols + j] = value

I store the full matrix, even the zeros. Then I call the following to get the inverse:

LAPACKE_dtrtri( LAPACK_ROW_MAJOR, 'U', 'N', num_column, data, num_columns);

this Lapacke routine works fine and data is overwritten with the inverse matrix, as expected.

Now I would like to solve the system A x = b with

double b[3] = {1.,2.,3.}

cblas_dtrsv (CblasRowMajor, 'u', 'n', 'n', 3, data, 3, b, 1);

but the output is always:

Intel MKL ERROR: Parameter 2 was incorrect on entry to cblas_dtrsv

I tried to store only the nonzero elements in data, i.e. change the data array to be 

double data[6] = {1.,2.,3.,4.,5.,8.}

but I still get the same error. Can someone explain how I must define my matrix to be recognized as upper triangular for the cblas routine and how the cblas routines are different from the Lapacke ones?

thanks very much

0 Kudos
2 Replies
mecej4
Honored Contributor III

Please use the enum constants as named at https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/468386. The MKL documentation is, I think, misleading in that it seems to say that the values 'U' and 'N' are suitable for the Cblas_?trsv argument Uplo, just the same as for the Fortran BLAS routine ?trsv argument uplo. In your program, use

cblas_dtrsv(CblasRowMajor, CblasUpper, CblasNoTrans, CblasNonUnit, 3, A, 3, b, 1);

and you will not only get the correct behavior, but the source code will also have better readability.

0 Kudos
numerix1
Beginner

Replacing the characters by the enum constants fixed it. Thank you!

0 Kudos