Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.
6974 Discussions

mkl_sparse_s_spmmd is slower than tensorflow tf.sparse_matmul

zhou__jianqian
Beginner

I have two sparse matrix,both of them sparsity is about 55%, I use mkl_sparse_s_spmmd function and pack the funtion .so dynamic library.in python program import .so.I compare .so and th.sparse_matmul use the same dataset.but I found the tf.sparse_matmul performance is good than the .so.

I compile MKL tensorflow,and test in this tensorflow.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel

55% of sparsity - this is dense but not sparse matrixes. what is the problem size? Probably, it makes sense to try the "classical" sgemm if the RAM size will allow doing that. 

0 Kudos
zhou__jianqian
Beginner

I improve sparsity,the first matrix is(1507, 256),which sparsity is 70% more,and The other one is(256,31140),which sparsity is 70% more,here is my code. and I test in  Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver.

0 Kudos
zhou__jianqian
Beginner

Meanwhile,when use mkl sparse product,the CPU Utilization ratio is lower than tf.matmul() and tf.sparse_matmul()

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

nevertheless, why don't you want to call sgemm? Your typical problem sizes are not too big. You may convert from csr to dense representation and make the [s,d]gemm call. I do believe the performance and scalability will be pretty fine.

0 Kudos
zhou__jianqian
Beginner

Thank you for your answer,at frist I think my matrix is sparse,so I replace dense matrix product with sparse matrix product,meanwhile,I enlarge my matrix size and sparsity,the size is13000*256,256*31140,the sparsity is 80%,I originally think this will improve my performance,but the running result shows my idea is wrong.

0 Kudos