Intel® oneAPI Math Kernel Library
Ask questions and share information with other developers who use Intel® Math Kernel Library.

parallel access to DSS functions?

Vahid_Jalili
Beginner
HI,
I am creating 4 CPU threads that at each of them I want to use MKL's DSS solver, I have a question:
- As these threads are working in parallel, is it possible to have access to the DSS's functionssimultaneouslyat each thread?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
ArturGuzik
Valued Contributor I
Hi,

what do mean by access? Please elaborate. Do you want to run 4 independent solvers? What about data sharing (are problems fully independent?).

A.
0 Kudos
Vahid_Jalili
Beginner
I have 4 tasks that are done independently by 4 cpu threads on a quad core cpu. They use the share memory to communicate. In each of these tasks I need to solve Ax=b with DSS. What I meant was if it is possible to call the same functions (from DSS routine) in the process of parallel threads? and if these call are run can be runsimultaneously?
The reason that I am asking this question is that, before this I was using my own LU solver, not DSS, and when I had 4 cpu threads the computation time reduced to onequarter in compare with a single thread computation, but now that I am using DSS at each thread I am not seeing any acceleration in compare with a single thread computation (with DSS)!!
Please let me know if it is not clear.
any idea?!
Thank you.
0 Kudos
Konstantin_A_Intel
Hi Vahid,
Yes, it's possible to call DSS from different OpenMP threads, it's not a problem. As I see, you use 4 own threads and don;t need DSS/PARDISO to be threaded inside. In this case I would recommend you to link with MKL in sequential mode to reduce OpenMP-related overhead in MKL. But it should work for threaded MKL as well.
And of course, you will not observe any speed-up between a single DSS task and 4 DSS tasks ran in parallel. Your gain here is that you solve 4 tasks during the about the same time as you would solve 1 task.
Regards,
Konstantin
0 Kudos
diegoarenas
Beginner
Hi,

First of all sorry to write this in this thread. But as I saw that you're experts with this tool, you might be able to give me some help.

I've posted a new thread in http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=78926&o=a&s=lr

I'd really appreciate any kind of help from you, since I don't know what else to do to have this problem solved.

Thanks!!
0 Kudos