Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

Doubt with parallel_for.

kio_marv
Beginner
Hi,
I'm using parallel_for to speed up the filling of two vectors I'm using. The INIT_V1_SIZE and INIT_V2_SIZE variables are read from user input in another place.
[cpp]class World { private: std::vector v1; std::vector v2; // more things public: World() { v1.reserve( INIT_V1_SIZE ); v2.reserve( INIT_V2_SIZE ); // more things void StartUp() {
/// more things
tbb::parallel_for(tbb::blocked_range(0,v1.size()),FillObjectVector(&v1,....),tbb::auto_partitioner()); tbb::parallel_for(tbb::blocked_range(0,v2.size()),FillContainerVector(&v2,....),tbb::auto_partitioner()); } };[/cpp] FillObjectVector and FillContainerVector iterate through the vector and in each position create a new object. Each object is independent from the rest.
What I want to know if it it possible to launch all of the parallel_for's at the same time. Would it be a good idea?.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
RafSchietekat
Black Belt
3 Replies
RafSchietekat
Black Belt
kio_marv
Beginner
Thanks a lot!!
jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt
Depending on the number of memory channels available, if you have two then consider parallel_invoke with each vector listed in the task list using standard for(... to fill/copy the data. On such a system using more than two threads to perform the copy may be counter productive.

Jim Dempsey