Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.

Extending task class in tbb

Adarsh_Y_
Beginner

I am trying to extend the task class and override the "spawn_and_wait_for_all" class function. Like this.

MyTask.h:

namespace tbb {

class my_task: public task {

public:

void spawn_and_wait_for_all ( task& child ) { }

}

}

If the define the "spawn_and_wait_for_all" in the class itself (like above) I am able to call that function. But when I put the function definition in a separate cpp file I get an "undefined reference error". Like this

MyTask.h:

namespace tbb {

class my_task: public task {

public:

void spawn_and_wait_for_all ( task& child );

}

}

MyTask.cpp:

namespace tbb {

void my_task::spawn_and_wait_for_all ( task& child ) { }

}

ERROR: undefined reference to `tbb::my_task::spawn_and_wait_for_all (tbb::task&)'

Am I doing anything fundamentally wrong here? I have even tried not extending the task class but add a new "new_spawn_and_wait_for_all" function to the task class itself and defining it in task.cpp. It still gives me an undefined reference error.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RafSchietekat
Black Belt

Don't change TBB itself: just define the class in your own library and your own namespace.

Don't try to override a non-virtual member function.

I'm guessing that your definition was not appropriately scoped, so the compiler made it into a new unrelated function.