Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.

[TBB 4.3, OSX] tbbmalloc_proxy crash

e4lam
Beginner

I tried using tbbmalloc_proxy on OSX Yosemite on a QT application and I got an instant crash during start up.

It crashes within __TBB_malloc_free_definite_size(), which I think is because it's being given a pointer that wasn't allocated using tbbmalloc to begin with. Looking in tbbmalloc/proxy_overload_osx.h, impl_free_definite_size() directly calls __TBB_malloc_free_definite_size() which has no checks for foreign allocated pointers. This looks fishy to me because impl_free(), declared as PREFIX(free) in tbbmalloc/proxy.cpp, calls __TBB_malloc_safer_free() which does have checks for foreign pointers. So there appears to be a bug here?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Alexandr_K_Intel1
There is known issue with system allocator overload in 4.3 on OS X. Might I ask you to try Development release "tbb43 20141009oss" ( https://www.threadingbuildingblocks.org/sites/default/files/software_releases/mac/tbb43_20141009oss_osx.tgz )? I hope it must be fixed here.
0 Kudos
Alexey-Kukanov
Employee

The 4.3 Update 1 contains the fix for the issue.

0 Kudos