Intel® oneAPI Threading Building Blocks
Ask questions and share information about adding parallelism to your applications when using this threading library.
Announcements
This community is designed for sharing of public information. Please do not share Intel or third-party confidential information here.

[TBB 4.3, OSX] tbbmalloc_proxy crash

e4lam
Beginner

I tried using tbbmalloc_proxy on OSX Yosemite on a QT application and I got an instant crash during start up.

It crashes within __TBB_malloc_free_definite_size(), which I think is because it's being given a pointer that wasn't allocated using tbbmalloc to begin with. Looking in tbbmalloc/proxy_overload_osx.h, impl_free_definite_size() directly calls __TBB_malloc_free_definite_size() which has no checks for foreign allocated pointers. This looks fishy to me because impl_free(), declared as PREFIX(free) in tbbmalloc/proxy.cpp, calls __TBB_malloc_safer_free() which does have checks for foreign pointers. So there appears to be a bug here?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Alexandr_K_Intel1
There is known issue with system allocator overload in 4.3 on OS X. Might I ask you to try Development release "tbb43 20141009oss" ( https://www.threadingbuildingblocks.org/sites/default/files/software_releases/mac/tbb43_20141009oss_... )? I hope it must be fixed here.
Alexey_K_Intel3
Employee

The 4.3 Update 1 contains the fix for the issue.