Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2906 Discussions

Changing from Intel EMA authentication to Azure AD

TomW
Novice

Hi,

I installed Intel EMA use built-in/Intel EMA authentication just to keep it simple while I configured it all for the first time. I assumed it'd be easy to switch to Windows or Azure authentication after the fact, but I can't find any documentation on doing that. I did find the command-line option to switch from Domain to Azure AD authentication, but it doesn't work if you're currently using Intel EMA authentication.

>EMAServerInstaller SWITCHTOAZUREAD --guser=xxxxxx --gpass=xxxx -c -v
Current authentication mode is not Windows Authentication.

So how do I switch from Intel EMA to domain authentication so I can then go to Azure AD auth?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MIGUEL_C_Intel

Hello, TomW,

It is possible to jump from Windows Authentication to Azure AD with this command; however, it is not possible to jump from EMA Authentication to Windows Authentication or Azure AD. Both Microsoft applications use their own databases.

Section 2.4.4 Converting to Azure AD using the command line of the Intel® EMA server Installation guide July 23, 2013 gives the details.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/software/manageability-products/intel-ema-server-installation-and-maintenance-guide.pdf#page=49

Regards,

Miguel C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
TomW
Novice

Thanks Miguel, so if I have an existing Intel EMA installation and wants to use Windows domain or Azure authentication, are you saying my only course of action is to re-install Intel EMA from scratch? If so that seems completely ridiculous, and there was no warning during installation that the authentication method couldn't be changed after the fact. 

Is this likely to be rectified in a future release, or are we stuck with Intel EMA authentication forever now.

0 Kudos
MIGUEL_C_Intel

Hello, TomW,

I am confirming with the engineering team if there is any alternative way to jump from EMA authentication to Windows or Azure AD authentication. Please give me 48 business hours to answer.

Regards,

Miguel C.

0 Kudos
TomW
Novice

Thanks Miguel, that'd be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
MIGUEL_C_Intel

Hello, TomW,

I got the confirmation from the engineering team.

It is possible to migrate from Windows AD to Azure AD authentication. Jumping from EMA authentication to any other is not possible.  It is necessary to reinstall and use Azure AD auth mode. 

Regards,

Miguel C.

0 Kudos
TomW
Novice

Thanks for getting back to me Miguel, so by re-install, can I re-use the same database? I might snapshot the VM and give it a go to find out.

0 Kudos
TomW
Novice

Answered my own question. Re-using the database doesn't work as it does an "upgrade" installation and doesn't prompt for change of authentication method. I've basically had to re-install from scratch which luckily for me we haven't fully deployed vPro yet so it's not a huge burden, but had we already deployed to all computers I guess we'd be stuck using EMA authentication.

I think this needs to be addressed in a future release as there's bound to be other customsers with existing Intel EMA installations that may want to adopt Azure AD and who may not be using Windows domain authentication, such as a server disconnected from the rest of the domain.

0 Kudos
MIGUEL_C_Intel

Hello, TomW,

Hopefully, this feature will be implemented in future Intel® EMA releases. 

Regards,

Miguel C.

0 Kudos