Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2886 Discussions

Error installing Intel EMA 1.10.1

Jori
Beginner

Hello,

I'm encountering the following error when attempting to install Intel EMA..  Checking it, I can see that it does not create the file "connections.config".  The database itself gets created and set up (SQL Express on the same VM).. This is the only error in the logs.

Action: PlatformManagerInstalling, FileName: MainForm.cs, FunctionName: InstallPlatformManager, ExceptionMsg: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 3, position 94. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Platform Manager\Runtime\MeshSettings\connections.config line 3) ---> System.Xml.XmlException: An error occurred while parsing EntityName. Line 3, position 94.
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseEntityName()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributeValueSlow(Int32 curPos, Char quoteChar, NodeData attr)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseAttributes()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElement()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
   at System.Configuration.XmlUtil.CopyXmlNode(XmlUtilWriter utilWriter)
   at System.Configuration.XmlUtil.CopyElement(XmlUtilWriter utilWriter)
   at System.Configuration.XmlUtil.CopySection()
   at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.LoadConfigSource(String name, SectionXmlInfo sectionXmlInfo)
   at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSectionXmlReader(String[] keys, SectionInput input)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.EvaluateOne(String[] keys, SectionInput input, Boolean isTrusted, FactoryRecord factoryRecord, SectionRecord sectionRecord, Object parentResult)
   at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.Evaluate(FactoryRecord factoryRecord, SectionRecord sectionRecord, Object parentResult, Boolean getLkg, Boolean getRuntimeObject, Object& result, Object& resultRuntimeObject)
   at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSectionRecursive(String configKey, Boolean getLkg, Boolean checkPermission, Boolean getRuntimeObject, Boolean requestIsHere, Object& result, Object& resultRuntimeObject)
   at MeshServersCommon.code.Crypto.ProtectedConfigProvider.EncryptConfigSection(String section, String rootConfig)
   at MeshServerInstaller.MainForm.CreateConnectionsConfig(String emaInstall, String connstr)
   at MeshServerInstaller.MainForm.InstallPlatformManager(Object arg).

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Jori,

Thank you so much for contacting Intel customer support,

Based on the error you got, we consider this could be related to the Intel® EMA Platform Manager Package path not being set correctly. The installer can find an existing Platform Manager settings file (e.g., C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Platform Manager\Platform Manager Server\settings.txt), but cannot find the Intel EMA packages (e.g., C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Platform Manager\Packages) listed in that settings file.

Please proceed with the steps below:

1. Uninstall the Intel EMA Server, selecting all options.
  2. Ensure that Intel EMA Platform Manager is no longer installed and there is no content in the Intel EMA installation folder (e.g., C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Platform Manager).
  3. Re-install the Intel EMA Server

Don’t hesitate to let us know if the steps worked or not. 

Best regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jori
Beginner

Hi Victor,

So to start off..

This is on a newly spun up Azure VM.  I've rebuilt this VM like 6 times with the same result.

So each time I've been following the steps..

Deploy VM ->
Domain Join it ->
Install SQLExpress ->
Install EMA, choosing Azure AD Authentication.
It installs fine, sets up the database, then errors.  After that I can only uninstall the Platform Manager from Add/Remove programs, but that leaves behind files in the directory.  Attempting to use the installer to uninstall it gives me this error..

Action: SelectiveUninstalling|GetConnStrSettings, FileName: MainForm.cs, FunctionName: SelectiveUnInstall, ExceptionMsg: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Unable to open configSource file 'connections.config'. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Platform Manager\Runtime\MeshSettings\app.config line 6)
   at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.EvaluateOne(String[] keys, SectionInput input, Boolean isTrusted, FactoryRecord factoryRecord, SectionRecord sectionRecord, Object parentResult)
   at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.Evaluate(FactoryRecord factoryRecord, SectionRecord sectionRecord, Object parentResult, Boolean getLkg, Boolean getRuntimeObject, Object& result, Object& resultRuntimeObject)
   at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.GetSectionRecursive(String configKey, Boolean getLkg, Boolean checkPermission, Boolean getRuntimeObject, Boolean requestIsHere, Object& result, Object& resultRuntimeObject)
   at MeshServersCommon.code.Crypto.ProtectedConfigProvider.DecryptConfigSection(String section, String rootConfig)
   at MeshServersCommon.DBCore.GetConnStrConfig(String configPath)
   at MeshServersCommon.DBCore.GetConnectionString()
   at MeshServerInstaller.MainForm.SelectiveUnInstall(Object args).

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello  Jori,

Thank you for your response.

We would like to know if you make sure to follow at face value the pre-installation instructions that are found in our installation guide in section 1.3.4 page 4.

Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant (Intel® EMA) Server Installation Guide

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/software/manageability-products/intel-ema-server-installation-and-maintenance-guide.pdf

Best regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Jori
Beginner

Hello Victor,

Yes, I followed those instructions.  However, those are not even at play, since I cannot login to the EMA web page to configure the Azure AD Settings.

0 Kudos
Jori
Beginner

Hi Victor,

To add to this, I get the same issue when selecting Active Directory as the authentication method.

Additionally, here is the error when I try to uninstall EMA.  I have no idea why it's not creating "connections.config".

Is there a way to manually generate the file? I assume it is storing the encrypted connection string.

Action: SelectiveUninstalling|GetConnStrSettings, FileName: MainForm.cs, FunctionName: SelectiveUnInstall, ExceptionMsg: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: Unable to open configSource file 'connections.config'. (C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Platform Manager\Runtime\MeshSettings\app.config line 6)
   at MeshServersCommon.code.Crypto.ProtectedConfigProvider.DecryptConfigSection(String section, String rootConfig)
   at MeshServersCommon.DBCore.GetConnStrConfig(String configPath)
   at MeshServersCommon.DBCore.GetConnectionString()
   at MeshServerInstaller.MainForm.SelectiveUnInstall(Object args).

Jori_0-1691769090581.png

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Jori,

Thank you so much for your responses.

To continue can you please confirm that you can connect to the following:

Test-NetConnection login.microsoftonline.com -port 443

Best regards, 

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello  Jori,

Were you able to check the previous message we sent?  

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Jori
Beginner

Hi Victor,

As stated, it never got to the point where Azure AD Authentication was even able to get configured.  It was facing an install error.

Now, I did fix it.  I did this by NOT telling it to use a SQL account.

It seems there is a bug in the installer when using a SQL Account in which it does not generate "connections.config".  I'm not sure how to raise this as an official issue, but I can reproduce the bug 100% of the time when attempting to use a SQL Account.

In any case, after getting it installed I was able to do the rest of the installation.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Jori,

Thank you so much for your response.

We can check this further on our end and report back to you with any findings; however, in order to do that we will need to have detailed steps from your end in order to replicate the issue and to do the workaround you found; therefore, if you are interested in us doing that please provide the necessary steps to replicate and to avoid the error.

Additionally, you mentioned that you were able to complete the installation process; nevertheless, we would like to know if you were able to successfully provision any endpoints after that.

Best regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Jori
Beginner

Hi Victor,

So to replicate this..

1. Install SQL Express on the server running EMA.  Configure the "SA" Account with a password.

2. Install EMA.  When it's asking for a database connection, leave the default value in and choose "SQL Authentication".  Put in the SA account details for the username/password. Configure the rest of EMA however needed and start the installation process.

3. The installer will then provision the database and install all components.  At the end, when doing a step for the Platform Manager it will give the error in my first post.  After this, EMA cannot uninstall itself, nor is it functional.

You should see that "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Platform Manager\Runtime\MeshSettings\connections.config" does not exist, as the installer for some reason did not create it, but relies on it for knowing where the database is.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Jori,

Thank you for your response.

We appreciate the steps you sent in order to replicate the issue. Don’t hesitate to provide us at your earliest convenience with the steps you took to work around the error, and also don’t forget to let us know how the provisioning of the endpoints went after that.

Best regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello  Jori,

Were you able to check the previous message we sent? Don’t hesitate to contact us back at your earliest convenience.

Best regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Jori,

We have not heard back from you.

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
DeltaIntegrale
Beginner

Hola Victor,

El manual de instalación de Intel EMA en algunos casos es algo ambiguo
De cabeza da a entender que sólo funciona en Azure Active Directory
Pero no lo tengo claro todavía

Sería posible efectuar instalación de Intel EMA on Promise?

Gracias

0 Kudos