Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

Error message in OOB console when trying to use SOL

idata
Employee

This is the error i am getting in sccm in the oob console when trying to connect to clients via SOL

Error is "There is no active serial-over-lan connection, make sure installing telnet client"

it says to check the oobconsole.log where is this log??

any other info would be appreciated.

thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Bruno_Domignues
Employee

Hi Stéphane,

You will find the OOBConsole.log under C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manger\AdminUI\AdminUILog directory and in order to get more information, I would recommend you change the "Error" to "Verbose" mode into C:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager\AdminUI\bin\oobconsole.exe.config file (i.e. you can use the notepad to do it).

Based in your problem description, looks that your system do not have the telnet client installed, that for Windows 2008/7 you must do it manually in "Turn Windows Features On/Off" in machine's Control Panel.

If this problem persists, please send to us the OOBConsole.log.

Best Regards!

--Bruno Domingues

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Bruno,

I found the log i needed but the error does not provide any more info

[1][18/05/2011 2:51:39 PM] :Error occured when Launch terminal, make sure installing telnet client

[1][18/05/2011 2:51:39 PM] :Closing SOL terminal...

[1][18/05/2011 2:51:39 PM] :SOL terminal closed

All are clients are on win xp

isn't the sol connection used to connect to client pc's for BIOS change purposes, if so since the bios is outside the OS what would installing or activating the telnet client change

am i missing something here??

thanks

Bruno_Domignues
Employee

Hi Stéphane,

You must have the telnet client installed in console machine, not in cliente machine. OOB Console uses the telnet client library to open SoL session.

Best Regards!

--Bruno Domingues

0 Kudos
Bruno_Domignues
Employee

Hi Stéphane,

In fact you need telnet client installed on console machine not in client machines. MSFT OOBConsole uses the telnet client library to connect to SoL.

Best Regards!

--Bruno Domingues

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Stephane,

On the SCCM server itself, you want to make sure you have the Telnet client installed.

It is not necessary to have the Telnet client on the target PC.

As Bruno mentioned, if you are using windows 2008 as your SCCM Server, you can add Telnet client by accessing "Turn Windows Features On/Off" and adding in the feature.

thanks

Josh

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

gotcha, when you wrote win 2008/7 it through me off for some reason.

anyways, I installed the telnet client on my sccm server 2008 and voilà it works fine.

thanks to both you and Josh!

Stéphane

0 Kudos