Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

Having issues creating USB boot stick

John_T_Intel
Employee

I am using the ACU Wizard to create a bootable USB stick to enable AMT on an HP Prodesk 800 G4 (can't manually enable as it's using MEBx v12 and I cannot find documentation on that version). I select the required options but when it starts, I get an error about half way through that says:

"Keys copied to the USB drive with the following error(s):The file is not located in the correct position on the USB drive (the first file on the drive). Click Ignore to continue or click Retry to reattempt copying the keys to the drive."

I've tried ignoring the error and it finishes, however the stick does not boot in any machine. I've tried Configurator Download Package 12.0.0.129 (newest) and v11.2.0.35 (the only other one I can find) and both produce the same error each time. I have tried multiple USB sticks both 3.0 and 2.0 with no luck.

I am not sure how to create these boot sticks at this point.

0 Kudos
33 Replies
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, Thank you so much for contacting us about this concern. Could you please so kind and provide us the following information: A) AMT Version that you are trying to install. B) Did you provision previously a different computer with that USB Driver? Or Is this the first time that are trying to accomplish this deployment? C) Do you have the possibility to provide us some screenshots of the configuration when you create the USB in order to confirm some details? We will be waiting your information in order to proceed with the next step. Regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
John_T_Intel
Employee

HI Emeth,

I'm not sure where to find the specific AMT version but ME is v12.0.2.1087 on the target machine. This is the first attempt at creating a bootable USB stick. I have attached a screen shot of the configuration.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello, Thank you so much for the information provided. Could you please so kind and provide us the steps that you have been following in order to create the USB Key? In order to have a better understanding of your scenario and see if there is something missing. Regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
John_T_Intel
Employee

Sure:

1) I downloaded the Configurator_download_package_12.0.0.129 Archive from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software/setup-configuration-software.html

2) I extracted the archive

3) Ran ACUWizard.exe as administrator

4) Selected "Create Settings to Configure Multiple Systems"

5) Selected the 'Tools' menu then 'Prepare a USB Key for Manual Configuration...'

6) Changed options to config shown above

7) Hit OK

Again, I tried the previous version of the Configurator with the same results.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hi John, Thank you so much for the information provided. By any chance, Have you tried to format the USB Drives before to prepare the USB Keys? Also, have you tried to create the USB Key on a different system? Regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
John_T_Intel
Employee

I had actually thought about trying another laptop yesterday but got busy with another issue. I just tried on a Windows 7 64bit machine and it created the boot stick without any errors. Seems to be an issue with Windows 10 - I will try it again on another laptop with Win10 and see what happens.

Thanks for your assitance, Emeth!

Edit: I just tried another Windows 10 desktop and got the same error I was getting before. Seems this tool doesn't like Windows 10.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello John, Thank you so much for providing us the information. Could you please so kind and provide to me the system information of those machines running Windows 10? in order to double check the information with an upper level department. Best regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
John_T_Intel
Employee

Sure, here are my system specs:

HP Elitebook 840 G4 Touch

Intel i7-7500U 2.7GHZ

16GB Ram

Windows 10 1709

Windows ver. 16299.1004

Please let me know if you require further details.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello John, I was doing some research about this unit and I identified that the processor is not vPro Comparable. Please check the link below in order to see the comparable features with this processor, under the Advanced Technologies will you see that the processor does not support Intel® vPro™ Platform Technology: https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/95451/intel-core-i7-7500u-processor-4m-cache-up-to-3-50-ghz.html If you have any other question please do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you. Regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
John_T_Intel
Employee

I followed the instructions from one of Intel's AMT videos found at https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026592/technologies.html - it specifically says that the host system does not need to be vPro enabled. Please see the attached screen shot.

Also, the system I was able to create the USB stick on is running an i5-6200U which is not vPro compatible either.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hi John, Correct, the RCS Server and the system that you are going to use in order to create the USB Key does not need to have the vPro Feature on the processor. However, the system that you are going to use in order to provision the Intel AMT Software require a processor comparable with the vPro Feature. I would like to confirm If the information provided of the HP Elitebook 840 G4 Touch is for a client in which you tried to provision the software? Regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
John_T_Intel
Employee

The computer I was trying to enable AMT on is an HP Prodesk 800 G4. I am able to access the MEBx and enable AMT (I think) but all efforts to connect to it remotely using Meshcommander are unsuccessful (can't authenticate). This is the reason I wanted to create the USB boot stick because that was the only option I had yet to try (won't even boot on that desktop by the way). This is an issue I'm working on with HP although they're not having much luck figuring that out either. Unless Intel happens to have updated documentation for the MEBx v.12 and higher.

We got a couple of your NUC devices (BLKNUCi5DNKPC1) and they couldn't have been easier to setup and connect to. I would love to replace all of our remote user equipment with those but I can't find any with dual display port connections as all our staff use those type of monitors.

Anyway, if you come up with any updates to the ACU wizard and would like me to test on my laptop to see if it works or not, just reply to this thread and I'll set aside some time to assist with that.

John

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello John, I would like to inform you that when you access to the MEBx option you have to enable the AMT and also proceed with the provisioning option. The MEBx and USB are two different options and process. Just to confirm the USB Key that you mentioned, is the same key that you used in a different system and it works? Regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hello John, By any chance, do you still need assistance on this thread? If so, please do not hesitate and let me know and I will be more than happy to assist you. Regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
John_T_Intel
Employee

Yes, sorry missed your last comment. The USB stick is created and boots on the Prodesk I was working with. Didn't configure it properly but that's a separate issue. I still am not sure why I can't create them on my laptop but I have an alternative if needed.

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hi, No worries, I am very glad to hear that! Which is the model of your Laptop? and which operating system are you using on it? Regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
John_T_Intel
Employee

It was the one I mentioned earlier:

HP Elitebook 840 G4 Touch

Intel i7-7500U 2.7GHZ

16GB Ram

Windows 10 1709

Windows ver. 16299.1004

0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hi, Thank you so much for the information provided. I will verify this information, as soon as possible I will get back to you. Regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Emeth_O_Intel
Hi, Could you please so kind and confirm that those system in which you do not have the possibility to boot the USB key have the latest BIOS Version? On the other hand, please try to create the USB keys using the new version of SCS (12.1.0.87) and a different USB key if possible: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26505/Intel-Setup-and-Configuration-Software-Intel-SCS- Regards, Emeth O. Intel Customer Support Technician. Under Contract to Intel Corporation.
0 Kudos
John_T_Intel
Employee

Once I have the USB created, I haven't run into an issue booting AMT enabled systems (well I did with an HP desktop but I figured out that you had to specifically enable USB provisioning for AMT in the regular BIOS) but all systems I've been working on have the most up to date BIOS.

I just installed v12.1.0.87 and attempted to create a USB bootable stick. Unfortunately the application crashes about 20 seconds after starting. I tried a few times and it crashed each time. Is there a place where it generates logs I can send you?

0 Kudos