Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

Help with getting vPro set up.

Comfy
Beginner

Hi - im trying to get a proof of concept set up for my workplace. I think its a great platform for RDP and remote access. Ive had some limited wins so far with regards to setup but far from getting something that i can present....ive got quite a few issues and, questions also. If anyone could help that'd be great. I might jump around a bit but please bear with me!

1. Im using Mesh commander from a client/connection point of view. Is there anything better? ( i know of the real vnc viewer that has the AMT connection.

2. Initially ive got my desktop machine (on domain) and a test laptop (a precision 3551) which is in workgroup. ME software is installed. However in the network connection status is show as dhcp connected (but no ip address - there is an ip address and i can ping it but mesh commander doesnt want to know...!

3. I did have another laptop which i was using (an old latitude) but i dont have access to that all of the time....its set up no different (that i know of) but it does appear in Mesh Commander? (not sure why) that i used to be able to get a connection to but while experimenting have lost connection but, when i did get connection it was asking for some sort of number (which ive never been able to find where to configure....

As i say im new to this but very eager to learn as i think its a great platform....if anyone can point me to some walk through's/software to use that'd be great.

Thanks to anyone that takes a punt at it....

0 Kudos
38 Replies
Comfy
Beginner

As im back on this today just a couple of updates....

1. The Latitude 7480 i did have access to i can use again and, for the first time ive managed to get a VNC connection to it!! - i can only connect using no encryption (so thats another bridge to cross) - i cant connect using Mesh Commander though.

2. The Precision 3551 which is on my desk - although all set up to the best of my knowledge i cant make any connection to using mesh commander or vnc pro.

0 Kudos
Comfy
Beginner

Is there an alternative to the old EOL vnc viewer??

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Comfy,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

By looking at your request I understand that you are using Mesh Commander; therefore, I need to inform you that we don’t provide any support for it on any of our channels, if you like to receive assistance with it feel free to use the link below:

Contact Information

https://www.meshcommander.com/contact-information      

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Comfy
Beginner

Victor - thanks for the reply....is there an Intel alternative? (id rather stay all Intel if i can!)

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Comfy,

Thank you for your response.

At this moment, the only option that we have similar to Mesh Commander will be our Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant (Intel® EMA). The support we provide for this software is given to new and already created deployments of it; therefore, please review carefully the materials found in the links below, and in case you have any doubts don’t hesitate to let us know once you decide whether you want to use the software or not.

Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant (Intel® EMA) Single Server Installation and Maintenance Guide

(https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055629/software/manageability-products.html)

Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant (Intel® EMA) Admin and Usage Guide

(https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055619/software/manageability-products.html)

Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant (Intel® EMA) Quick Start Guide

(https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055627/software/manageability-products.html)

Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant (Intel® EMA) Video Series

(https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000056028/software/manageability-products.html)

Regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Comfy
Beginner

Brilliant - thanks very much - ill go through the links....im sure ill be back with more questions....thanks for the help so far...!

0 Kudos
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Comfy,

Thank you for your response.

You are very welcome. We will be waiting for your contact.

Best regards,

Victor G.

0 Kudos
Paul_R_Intel

Hello Comfy,

I hope you are doing great, we would like to follow up on your thread, we would like to know if further support is needed. If we do not hear back from you, we will proceed to close the thread in the next 2 business days.

Paul R

0 Kudos
Comfy
Beginner

Hi there....yes....its kind of a work in progress.....one issue im finding is on a newer laptop - (a precision 3551) i cannot find anyway to switch off the code challenge....is that as its a newer laptop so its there by default whereas the old Latitude 7480 i can just remote into.

0 Kudos
Comfy
Beginner

Hi Paul

Another question...this one is cost related. Ive done a quick demo of a remote connection to the laptop on my desk to which they were pretty blown away with the fact i could remote reimage a machine.....if we were to run some sort of server are there any additional sofware costs and if so what would we need to purchase (the only one i can see at the moment is a cert to secure traffic) and maybe a client connector (something like AMT VNC) - that kind of thing...?

Thanks again.

Andy

0 Kudos
Comfy
Beginner

Had a bit of a day on it today so more with the questions..!

I notice when in the firmware on the laptop itself you go into the MBEx mode and in there is the option to initially login as admin admin - is there way to change the user account name from admin....if its always admin there am i right in assuming that is an attack vector as its always known....?

Cheers

Andy

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello Comfy,

The username for the Intel® MEBX can not be changed; however, you can change the password you can find more information here:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/motherboards/desktop/sb/intel_mebx_user_guide_for_7series.pdf

Page 15

Best regards,

Sergio S.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Comfy
Beginner

Hi Sergio = another question....can i run the Endpoint management system on a standalone server? (initially while im learning i was going to use a 2nd laptop, install a demo of server 2019 (or whatever the latest version is), run it in a workgroup and then connect to my target 2nd, laptop? Just as an intial proof of concept and a precursor to going to a live version on our domain...

Thanks..

Andy

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello Comfy,

Intel EMA Server can be installed on the following operating systems:

Microsoft Windows Server* 2012

Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2

Microsoft Windows Server 2016

Microsoft Windows Server 2019

It can be installed on a standalone server

You can find more information here:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/software/manageability-products/intel-ema-distibuted-seve-installation-and-maintenance-guide.pdf

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
Comfy
Beginner

Thanks for that....can it be ran in "workgroup" though....just for the test i dont really want to go through the pain of setting up a domain!

Cheers

Andy

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello Comfy,

We do recommend creating the domains, please check the Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant (Intel® EMA) Quick Start Guide here:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/software/manageability-products/intel-ema-admin-and-usage-guide.pdf

I hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
Comfy
Beginner

Morning sir. And another question. Weve decided to run up a server on our domain and start off with testing a few devices. Do you recommend the EMA server be a domain server member or should it be on the network but not on the domain?

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello Comfy,

Please allow us to check on your question and we will get back to you.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello Comfy,

Thank you for waiting for our updates.

You can install EMA using either option (EMA server be a domain or on the network within your company), you should not have any problems.

We hope this information helps. 

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
Comfy
Beginner

Hi Sergio

Thanks very much for youre help so far. Ive got the server up and running. My first initial question is, down the left hand side the only options ive got are "overview, users and settings" i seem to be missing the option to actually create a profile. Ive created a test tennant and a user but as i say i cant see how to create my first AMT profile.

Cheers.

0 Kudos