Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

Intel EMA (Endpoint Management Assistant) not working for lan-less Systems

Zieri__Sascha
Beginner

Hello

We installed and configured Intel EMA Server successfully with a public certfificate from GoDaddy

Our PC's from HP can be provisioned without any problems, same with the HP Notebooks which have Ethernet and Wlan but our Convertibles and Tablets with only Wlan refuse to provision correctly. The lan-less Systems throw out the Error: Unhandled error while applying wireless configuration. The Systems remain in Client Control Mode instead of Admin Control Mode.

Anyone have some tipp or even better is there any place where we find better documentation then the Intel Documents provided.

Thanks for Reply

0 Kudos
11 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello Zieri__Sascha,

Thank you for joining the community

We have received you inquiry. We will research further and will let you know soon.

About the documentation you can check the EMA user guide in the following URL: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055619/software/manageability-products.html

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

For the LANLess systems, since there is no DNS Suffix for the ethernet adapter, you'll need to add the dns suffix in the MEBx directly to match the provisioning certificate.

To test the wireless configuration error, remove the wireless profile from the Intel AMT profile to see if this works. Is 802.1x in your wireless configuration?

If it continues to fail, please download the configurator download package from here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26505/Intel-Setup-and-Configuration-Software-Intel-SCS-

Run ACUConfig.exe /verbose /output console systemdiscovery. An .xml file will be created in the same folder as acuconfig. You can attach the file to the case so it's not publicly accessible or private message it to me.

Lastly, can you provide us with the version of AMT on these systems?

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Zieri__Sascha
Beginner

Dear Michael

The problem with the configuration was indeed the missing DNS- Suffix, unfortunately we did setup the Suffix in Network-Part instead of the PKI-Part in the MEBx Firmware. After correcting this the Lan-Less Clients could be configured properly to Admin Mode, only the Message about the Error applying the Wireless Profile didnt go away.

Like you suspected we are using 802.1x in our wireless configuration. We also tryied to setup a WPA-PSK profile but the error about applying the profile persisted.

If we look into the MEBx Website we see the configuration but if look into the details of the 802.1x Wlan-Profile its the encryption is set to TKIP instead of CCMP also it cannot be changed i.e. we get the Error Message "Failed to submit changes: Invalid PSK security settings".

So the Machines with 802.1x Wlan Profile are not connecting to the Wlan. If configured with the WPA-PSK Test Wlan (our Network Partner strongly recommends CCMP over TKIP as it is not really secure anymore) the Clients connect in Power-Off state as needed.

Do you have any suggestions how we can resolve that?

All our Systems have the latest Bios and AMT Firmware witch are available from Hewlett Packard.

Here the different Models of Mobile Systems with the AMT-Firmware installed we currently use:

Lenovo Yoga 460                        11.8.77.3664    with lan and wifi

Lenovo Yoga 370                        11.8.77.3664    with lan and wifi

HP EliteBook x360 1030 G2    11.8.77.3664    lan-less

HP HP Pro x2 612 G2                11.8.77.3664    lan-less

HP EliteBook x360 830 G5      11.8.77.3664    lan-less

HP EliteBook x360 830 G6      12.0.68.1606    lan-less

HP ProBook 650 G4                  11.8.79.3722    with lan and wifi

HP ProBook 650 G4                  12.0.68.1606    with lan and wifi

The attached File without the the certificate hashes (Deleted...)

We experienced the problems with the wireless connection first time in the beginning of last year using intel RCS with SCCM, this was the reason in the first place we wanted to try if better with Intel EMA.

We had perfectly working Systems until the Update from AMT Firmware 11.8.55.3510, with any newer Firmware Version the Wireless Profiles stopped working even a before working System stopped connecting the Wlan after only updating the Firmware.

Greetings

Sascha Zieri

0 Kudos
FFern4
Novice

Hi Michael

I know this is the way to provision Lan-less devices in Admin Mode with Intel EMA. The problem is that you need "one touch" in order to have the system in Admin Mode or the PKI DNS suffix to be defined in ME FW MEBx interface by OEM during manufacturing 

This is a big issue for customers with hundred or thousand of PC´s. Many of them refuse the use of vPro due to this situation.

Is it expected to be able to provision in admin mode Lan-lees devices without needing the "one-touch" configuration?

Regards

Fernando

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

Can you provide me with the version of EMA you are using right now?

0 Kudos
Zieri__Sascha
Beginner

Hello Michael

Initialy we installed EMA Version 1.3.2.1 on a Windows Server 2019 and updated it first to Version 1.3.3.0 and then to Version 13.3.1.

Greetings

Sascha

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

Hi Zieri, this is looking like it might be related to a known bug that we are looking into and working to get resolved. I will keep you posted on progress.

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

Thank you for the information. I checked for an update and there will be a release coming out soon. You will want to look for these versions or later for 11x:

11.8.79, 11.12.79, 11.22.79

I missed that you have some version 12 systems. I'll get the versions you should keep an eye out for with these.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
Zieri__Sascha
Beginner

Hello Michael

As HP released the new ME Firmware for all our ME Version 11 Hardware (11.8.79.3722 Rev.A) we updated it today.

After the update we made first a full reset and reconfiguring - First the USB OneTouch an after with the Intel EMA Server. The Error about applying the Wireless Profile persisted but now the Wlan could connect in poweroff-state.

First it seemed to work properly and the Systems connected to the wlan but after a few minutes they are disconnecting the wlan. The only exeption is the HP Pro X2 612 G2, this machine works now how expected and stays connected on the wlan. All other Notebook and Convertibles connect only to the Wlan again when pulling out the Power-Supply for a view seconds and then Plug it in again.

After a view minutes they disconnect again and we have to lose and reconnect power again to get a wlan connection.

For the Lenovo Covertibles we contacted Lenovo about the newer Firmwarerelease needed.

Greetings

Sascha Zieri

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

Hi Zieri__Sascha

I'm just a little bit confused, you were able to update the firmware on the HP and was the issue resolved for the HP systems but you are still experiencing the issue with other OEM systems and you will be looking to Dell and Lenovo for updated firmware? Is that correct?

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos
MichaelA_Intel

Hi Zieri,

Just following up on this.

Regards,

Michael

0 Kudos