Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2835 Discussions

Is Intel EMA 1.10 Server supported with Intel EMA 1.9 Client Agent

Jools86
New Contributor II

I have a prior ticket where it was determined you cannot programmatically update a Client Agent using a command line *(such as emaagent.exe -upgrade) from 1.9 to 1.10 without doing it manually by clicking on the .exe.

We already have 200 clients on 1.9.

Is it possible to run EMA server 1.10 with 1.9 client agents, as our management will not allow the Server to update all our clients at the same time when we update it to 1.10 this weekend.

A client upgrade process really needs to be developed by your team, as many financial companies will not allow client upgrades without due testing.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Victor_G_Intel
Employee

Hello Jools86,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Please let me review this information internally, and kindly wait for an update.

Once we have more information to share, we will post it on this thread.

Regards,

Victor G.

Intel Technical Support Technician

0 Kudos
MIGUEL_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Jools86,

The steps available to update the EMA agent file are the following:

We need to disable the Agent Auto Update from the Swarm server tag with the Global account.

You will need to block port 8080 temporarily so that clients don't check into the EMA server after upgrading and getting EMA agent 1.10.  

After the EMA upgrade, you can then remove the agent auto update and the endpoints and then unblock port 8080. 

The endpoints should be on emaagent 1.9, and the EMA server will be 1.10.1. 

Then you can use manually push out the emaagent policy to the endpoints in batches using SCCM, Intune, PowerShell, Psexec, or any other tool of his choice to manually upgrade endpoints based on his schedule.

Regards,

Miguel C.

0 Kudos
MIGUEL_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Jools86,

I hope this post finds you well.

Please let us know if further assistance is necessary.

Regards,

Miguel C

0 Kudos
Jools86
New Contributor II

Thanks for confirming  Miguel.

For those that are wondering how to upgrade an EMA agent via command line (Not documented), it is the following:

• emaagent.exe -fullinstall

0 Kudos
MIGUEL_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Jools86,

I hope this email finds you well.

Thank you for your collaboration.

The command line command for installing the EMA agent file is explained in the Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant (Intel® EMA) Quick Start Guide, Intel® EMA Version: 1.10.0 https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/software/manageability-products/intel-ema-quickstart-guide.pdf#page=23 Section 6.5 Deploying the Agent to your Endpoints.

The Release Notes document Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant (Intel® EMA) Release Notes, Intel® EMA Version: 1.10.0 provides more documents available.

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/646990/Intel_EMA_Release_Notes.pdf

I will gladly provide further assistance if necessary.

Regards,

Miguel C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos