Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2872 Discussions

KVM VNC doesn't work following BiOS/ME Update

Arnaud_L
Novice

We're using quite intensively the KMV/VNC feature of AMT since years in our Intel NUC.

We recently update the BiOS & ME FW on one of them (model DNKBLi5v) from BiOS 0076 to 0080, going from ME  11.8.90.3987  to ME  11.8.94.4494 (v5.1) 

Since then it's not possible to use/enable the port 5900 to use the VNC feature.

Using wsman give us an "UnsupportedFeature" error and the documentation doesn't say much about how to use another port ( https://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/default.htm?turl=WordDocuments%2Fworkingwithport5900.htm ).

I assume the feature is still existing, but needs to be configured on another port ? Or is this feature completly gone ?

25 Replies
Eduardo_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Arnaud_L,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

I will review your request and come back shortly with a response.

Warm regards,

Eduardo B

Intel Customer Support.

0 Kudos
Eduardo_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Arnaud_L,

That port has been disabled, and another one must be used instead. Additional information about it can be found in the following link: https://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/WordDocuments/workingwithport5900.htm

Kindly take a look at it and let me know if additional questions arise.

Warm regards,

Eduardo B

Intel Customer Support.

0 Kudos
Eduardo_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Arnaud_L,

I wish you an excellent day.

I would like to know if there are additional questions, concerns or you need additional support from our side.

I will monitor and follow up on 11/02/2023 if needed.

Best regards,

Eduardo B

Intel Customer Support.

0 Kudos
Paul-V
Beginner

Hello Eduardo_B,

We already had a look at the guide you cited in your reply above.
However, it only says that port 5900 is not supported anymore and does not explain how we should know use this KVM capability.

We used to work with wsman but as Arnaud said, we can't enable the port 5900 anymore as the feature is shown as unsupported.

Do you have a solution?

Kind regards,
Paul Vavelin

Eduardo_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Arnaud_L,

I will take a look at this and come back shortly with a response.

0 Kudos
Arnaud_L
Novice

Hi Eduardo,

Did you find anything regarding this issue ?

How can we change the port and/or re-enable this VNC feature ?

0 Kudos
Eduardo_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Arnaud_L,

My apologies for the delay and I hope you have a great week's start. I am currently waiting from my team to provide a response about the adequate ports to be used or how can it be done, since the article does not mention it. I'll keep you informed as soon as there is a response.

Best regards,

Eduardo B

Intel Customer Support.

0 Kudos
Arnaud_L
Novice

Hi Eduardo,

Thanks for the update.

FYKI: We made a port scan and none (other than the usual one for AMT) seems to be open.

So the question is more "How can we open/select" this port, rather than "which port has to be used".

Best Regards,

Arnaud

0 Kudos
Eduardo_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Arnaud_L,

In regards to the only port, the article provides a workaround related to enabling the port when is needed. For all the ports used with AMT you could check page 5 of the Installation and Maintenance Guide, https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/software/manageability-products/intel-ema-distibuted-seve-installation-and-maintenance-guide.pdf#page=5

Best regards,

Eduardo B

0 Kudos
Arnaud_L
Novice

Thanks Eduardo,

But unless I'm mistaken, I don't see anything related to KMV/VNC capability.

Could you please confirm:

VNC is still possible ?

How to see or enable the port to be used (whatever that port is) ?

Best Regards,

Arnaud

0 Kudos
Eduardo_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Arnaud_L,

I am currently checking this and will provide a response as soon as possible for your situation.

Warm regards,

Eduardo B

Intel Customer Support.

0 Kudos
Eduardo_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Arnaud_L,

I wish you an excellent day, Sir.

After reading our guide it is informed the KVM under that port is no longer available. Port 5900 does not use TLS even if Intel AMT is provisioned to use TLS. If you filter SDK by KVM Application Developers Guide, you'll see the redirection ports for both TSL and non TSL. Hopefully this will provide additional information.

Best regards,

Eduardo B

Intel Customer Support.

0 Kudos
Arnaud_L
Novice

Hi Eduardo,

Many thanks for the time & effort you put to answer me.

Unfortunatelly, it seems that you still don't answer my very first questions :

I assume the feature is still existing, but needs to be configured on another port ? Or is this feature completly gone ?

I've read the SDK (as you) and I saw what you answered me in previous posts ... including the fact that port 5900 does not use TLS.

Assuming that, and I agree with you, could you please answer the following :

1) Is it still possible to do KVM/VNC with the latest firmware version ?

2) If the answer of 1) is YES, can you please tell me EXACTLY how to do it ?

It doesn't matter to me, which port to use and/or if TLS is ON or OFF; just would like to use KVM/VNC again, no matter how it works.

0 Kudos
Eduardo_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Arnaud_L,

I am checking with my team the redirection ports if there are any. I'll keep you informed as soon as I get a response.

Best regards,

Eduardo B

Intel Customer Support.

0 Kudos
abulhol
Beginner

Hi Eduardo, 

Our team has tried other other tools to access the NUCs.

We succeeded using MeshCommander (even though out of support) and Intel MC, but basically we would still like to understand if it is possible to use lightweight VNC viewers to access the AMT. 

We have read the documentation and can see that the redirect ports are 16994 and 16995, but we have no luck connecting to them with standard VNC viewers. 

Also we see that "Redirection" feature needs to be switched on before connecting to AMT. What is the suitable wsman command for that?

0 Kudos
Eduardo_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Abulhol,

Here is an article in relation to the libraries which I think would be helpful, I'll let you know once additional details are available in short time:

https://software.intel.com/sites/manageability/AMT_Implementation_and_Reference_Guide/WordDocuments/redirectionlibraryoverview.htm

Best regards,

Eduardo Brenes

0 Kudos
Eduardo_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Abulhol,

I'd like to know if the link was useful and there is additional feedback about it. I will monitor your response today and follow in a couple of days if needed.

Best regards,

Eduardo B

0 Kudos
Eduardo_B_Intel
Employee

Hello Abulhol,

I'd like to know if the link was useful and there is additional feedback about it. I will monitor your response today and follow on the 28th if needed.

Best regards,

Eduardo B

0 Kudos
abulhol
Beginner

Hi Eduardo, 

I have looked at the documentation, but it is extremely technical. 

Also, there is no example application to run on Linux (anymore), which is what we require. 

I would appreciate if Intel could provide something out of the box, like Mesh Commander, which we can just install and use.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Eduardo_B_Intel
Employee

Hello abulhol,

I will take a look at this and come back shortly with a response, Sir.

Warm regards,

Eduardo B

0 Kudos