Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2823 Discussions

Must remove the BIOS battery to turn the computer back on, after AMT has been enabled

RToeg
Beginner

AMT enabled, everything works, the next day I have to remove the BIOS battery so that I can turn my computer back on, only the network plug lights orange. After removing the battery, it restarts itself several times and bottoms through normal, only the AMT settings are all gone, I have tested this 3 times, before I had to put the computer to the customer, of course without AMT

0 Kudos
14 Replies
JoseH_Intel

Hello RToeg,

Thank you for joining the community

Could you please tell what is your computer manufacturer? Have you contacted them already about a possible corrupted firmware issue?

By any chance have you updated either the system BIOS or the AMT management engine firmware?

Whenever the computer is AMT provisioned are you able to remote access it and/or power cycle it?

Will look forward for you updates

Regards

Jose A.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
RToeg
Beginner

Hello,

the system is a new Lenovo ThinkCentre M920t 10SF Tower 10SF002EGE with latest BIOS and AMT 12.XX.xx, Intel AMT Driver for Windows 10 1828.12.0.1152. I configured it through Windows using SCS_ACUWizard_12.1.0.87. Everything works, I can remotely access the PC via port 16992 and with MeshCommander all settings (need only remote shutdown, KVM). But if I go to the PC the next day, or after a long time, it will not turn on. the power button does nothing. Only when I have removed the BIOS battery, he drives up again. My question, is something already known, or have I done something flasch. I also tried different energy options, always with the same result.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello RToeg,

Thanks for the updates. Have you updated the Management Engine (ME) firmware with the file available from the Lenovo website? Is this the only system behaving this way? After the BIOS battery is removed are you able to access the MEBx utility during POST and try to provision the system from there?

By any chance have you contacted Lenovo support about this issue?

Jose A.

0 Kudos
RToeg
Beginner

Hello, Today the AMT firmware has been updated from 12.0.6.1120 to 12.0.35.1427. Is there a list of fixes per version?

I configured the system through Windows. I have not contacted Lenovo yet. After I removed the Bios battery I could not access the AMT anymore.

I can not adjust the scenario because the computer is already at the customer. Kind regards

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello RToeg,

For a list of fixes in the new AMT firmware v12.0.35.1427 you want to check the release notes directly in the Lenovo website since this firmware is customized and released by them.

So after updating the AMT firmware are you still getting the same behavior?

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello RToeg,

Do you have any updates, questions or comments in regards to this issue? If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this ticket as resolved. This support interaction will be marked as resolved automatically in the next 72 hours if no activity is received.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello RToeg,

We will proceed to mark this thread as resolved. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and create a new topic.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
RToeg
Beginner

Hallo,

i will test it again with Version v12.0.35.1427 over the weekend.

Regards

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello RToeg,

I am just following up to double check if you were able to test the ME v12.0.35.1427 over the weekend. Besides that, after doing some research I found some related info with HP systems. By any chance have you tried instead of removing the CMOS battery, holding the power button down for at least 15 seconds to make sure the systems boots up again? Please let me know if this is the case since we are gathering info about systems showing this behavior.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
RToeg
Beginner

Unfortunately, the customer had no time. I would like to try it anyway and hope to test the AMT settings on two identical devices this week.

On my PC, it was enough to remove the BIOS battery for a few seconds to restart the computer. Neither a keystroke nor 15 seconds waiting time.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello RToeg,

Thanks for the update. We needed to confirm if this issue was similar to the one discovered in HP systems.

Once you are able to test the AMT settings on those two identical systems please let us know your findings. We will keep the thread open until that.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello RToeg,

I am just following up to double check if you were able to get some testing and/or progress on this issue. We will look forward for your updates. We will keep this thread open until the end of this week. Please let us know if this is a good timeframe for you.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos
RToeg
Beginner

Hello, have been activated for several days on the two Lenovo M920t AMT with firmware v12.0.35.1427 and software ME_v12.0 1932.12.0.1298. So far, everything works and the PCs can be controlled via the KVM.

Thanks for the always quick support.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello RToeg,

I am glad to hear about your issue seems to be resolved. I will proceed to mark this thread as closed. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and create a new topic.

Regards

Jose A.

0 Kudos