Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

PXE winpe cannot operate with the disk while remote pxe command by AMT: RemoteControl.exe. PXE Linux works fine.

YBosh
Beginner

Hello dear experts,

We have automated the Operate System deployment of an Intel devices: DELL 7040/7050 computers. We use Linux PXE deployment and we have 2 OS being deployed: Linux Ubuntu and Win10 RS3 (WinPE developed).

We use AMT utilities to perform the remote commands, NetworkAdmin.exe and RemoteControl.exe, taken from SDK source: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/download-the-latest-intel-amt-software-development-kit-sdk

and it works fine through "mono" tool in linux:

"/usr/bin/mono /data/tools/automation/win/amt/bin/RemoteControl.exe -setbootsource pxe -host ${IP} -user admin -pass ${PS}"

"/usr/bin/mono /data/tools/automation/win/amt/bin/RemoteControl.exe -changepower busreset -host ${IP} -user admin -pass ${PS}"

Problem Summary:

When we boot the system to deploy Win10 OS by the approach, above. System boots PXE, start downloading and raise up the winpe image. But Windows installation fails in the Disk stage, warns: "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition. See the setup log files for more information". Due to the logs the disk was found and the partition has been created. I see it also by: "DISKPART> select Disk 0 -> list partition".

While, when I boot PXE manually (by F12) using AMT console and selecting PXE in boot sequence, system boots and installs fine and no any warnings.

This problem also does not meet in Linux OS automation or manual deployment by a same approach. Works excellent and no any trouble.

0 Kudos
31 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello open2yb,

I am sorry for the problems viewing the emails. But I post directly to the threat.

/thread/127143 https://communities.intel.com/thread/127143

To gather some additional information, version of WinPE been used, also if you have tried to use a different WinPE version or even a different windows version.

Alos, if the server or computer been manage for installation is within the same VLAN on the PXE server.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
YBosh
Beginner

Hello, Henry A.

Thanks for getting me back. Have you read my message, dated: 07-Aug-2018 09:29 ?

I also already replied you on your statement. I already tried any kind of different winpe image versions. There is no possible to take a latest, because it stop supporting CIFS protocol, just make it turned off in windows features by a default.

More over an above, easy to understand this is the same VLAN, because of tftp work over the broadcast only. Do you have the updated version of AMT tools? :

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/download-the-latest-intel-amt-software-development-kit-sdk http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/download-the-latest-intel-amt-software-development-kit-sdk

As you suggested me to use the option: " powercycle " in the tool: RemoteControl.exe, which does not exist in the version I use. Could you supply me some latest release of these binaries? I appreciate for your effort.

Thanks,

Yuri

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello open2yb,

Thank you for the update and I will double check with engineering to verify the steps for a KVM remote or other options for PXE Boot.

Thank you for your help.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello open2yb,

We have been testing PXE installations and we need the following information.

- This is failing on some Dell 7040's/7050's. Are there any systems that this works on?

- Please send the full script you are using

- Please send the Windows installation logs from:

%WINDIR%\Panther

$windows.~bt\Sources\Panther

FYI, information on the location of log files is available at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-log-files-and-event-logs https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-log-files-and-event-logs

We will look forward for your updates.

Jose A.

0 Kudos
YBosh
Beginner

Hello, Jose

According to your request, find out the logs files done during the installation process. I also send you the xml code of windows unattended. Let me know if you need something more.

Also I remind you if you have any updated version of AMT tools as RemoteControl.exe, we use to proceed reboot the system in PXE boot. I remind you the parameters we use in below:

/usr/bin/mono /data/tools/automation/win/amt/bin/RemoteControl.exe -setbootsource pxe -host $IP -user admin -pass $PASSWD

/usr/bin/mono /data/tools/automation/win/amt/bin/RemoteControl.exe -changepower busreset -host $IP -user admin -pass $PASSWD

You mentioned, you have some other parameter: "powercycle" which we do not have in such tool.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello open2yb,

Thanks for the logs provided. We will proceed to analyze them and will let you know our findings.

Jose A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello open2yb,

I will like to follow up on behave of my colleague Jose.

I am really sorry for the delay, but we have some problems with downloading the files.

We are working on then now and should have an answer soon.

But to help us even more, could you please re-create the logs you send us before on August 29th, and resend a new set of logs.

Thank you for your time and patience.

If there is anything else we can help please feel free to ask.

Best regards,

Henry A.
0 Kudos
Nader_T_Intel1
Employee

Hello open2yb,

I will like to follow up on behave of my co-worker Jose.

Could you please re-create the logs you send us before on August 29th, and resend a new set of logs?

Thank you for your time and patience.

We will be waiting for your valuable reply.

Best regards,

Nader T.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
YBosh
Beginner

Hello, Nader

I do not see the reason to recreate the logs as nothing was changed since that.

You were promised me to send the updated tool: RemoteControl.exe and I could be able to check the option: "powercycle" instead of "busreset" using by me today.

I still waiting for you any solution and really do not understand why it takes a long. All of necessary version details and more information, please, find out over the emails

Thanks for the effort helping me,

Have a great day,

Yuri

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello open2yb,

I found a somehow strange error on the setupact log saying:

"This installation is blocked from completing due to compliance failures or invalid input; this is not an internal error."

I will doublecheck with engineering for this and for the RemoteControl.exe updated version.

Will be in contact with you as soon as I have updates.

Jose A.

0 Kudos
KenF_Intel

Hi Open2yb,

I will be taking over this issue from Jose. I would like to discuss this with you on the phone. Please check your private messages for a message from me.

Thanks.

0 Kudos