Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2827 Discussions

REMOTE ISO MOUNT/REIMAGE OS WITH AMT

Hassan-Engineer
Beginner

Hello all,

I am trying to  boot a an intel amt supported laptop remotely with a win10 iso image mounted so I can do a fresh install of windows 10. How can make this iso available at boot time so I can reinstall windows 10 please answer?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
SergioS_Intel

Hello Hassan-Engineer,

Thank you for contacting Intel Customer Support.

In order to better assist you can you please provide us the model of the laptop that where you are planning to install AMT?

Can you please provide us the AMT version that you have on your system?

Additionally, please check the following URL in order to install AMT on your system.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026592/technologies.html

We will be looking forward to your updates.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

Intel Customer Support Technician

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit :https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
Hassan-Engineer
Beginner

Hello  Sergio S,

Model : Lenovo ThinkPad T480

AMT Version : v11.8.83 Activated in Admin control mode 

Further I am not talking about how to  install AMT on the system which I had already provisioned, I am asking about amt feature how to re-image crashed OS with intel amt ? How can make this iso available at boot time to re-image OS?

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello Hassan,

Thank you for the clarification.

What tool are you using to access remotely the system? 

What BIOS or OS configuration have you done on the system to access it remotely? 

Are you getting any error message while try to boot from the image?

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
Hassan-Engineer
Beginner

Hello  Sergio S,

Tool : Meshcommander

Configuration : AMT in ACM mode OS-win 10 pro

I am asking about the intel amt feature Remote Imaging OS which is IDER (Remote Disk Mount Operation), i just want to know that after upload the iso image win 10 file how can make this iso available at boot time so I can reinstall windows 10

HassanEngineer_0-1633539186562.png

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello Hassan,

Once you load the ISO image and reboot your system, are you getting the prompt of booting from the CD? If not, this is often because the boot is too fast relative to the delayed keyboard response; the recommendation is to go into the BIOS and slow down the boot so it can catch the boot to ISO feature.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

For firmware updates and troubleshooting tips, visit :https://intel.com/support/serverbios

0 Kudos
Hassan-Engineer
Beginner

Hello  Sergio S,

No, I am not getting the prompt of booting from the CD. The win 10 pro first of all is not uploading properly taking too longer time. How much bandwidth or Mbps required for this process?

Can you recommend me the best tool for remotely re image windows 10 desktops / laptops with vPro.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello Hassan-Engineer,

Please allow us to check on your question and we will get back to you.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello Hassan-Engineer,

Thank you for waiting for our updates.

Using the AMT network interface that is on 200Kbs to remote boot an entire modern general-purpose operating system is going to take a long time. It is possible, but if anything disrupts it during this long transaction there is a risk of a retry. If need an out-of-band interface to reimage a system with a full OS will often just use the AMT interface for a small bootable OS and then bootstrap off of that to load the large general-purpose OS inband off of a boot server (i.e. PXE) that has a much larger network interface.

So in the end this is not a good practice.

Please let us know if you need more assistance.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
SergioS_Intel

Hello Hassan-Engineer,

We are following your question and would like to know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Sergio S.

0 Kudos
Hassan-Engineer
Beginner

Hello  Sergio S,

Which small bootable OS would you recommend to use for the AMT interface?

Is it necessary to set up a PXE boot server in a local environment to load a full OS image, or is another alternate also available?

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Hassan-Engineer,

The small bootable OS would be Windows PE for example which image size should be less than 400 MB. About the PXE option, it could be possible to take advantage of the higher internal bandwidth within the same organization subnet. Actually sounds like a clever idea considering the original bandwidth limitations you have.

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Hassan-Engineer,

I am just following up to double-check if you found the provided information useful. If you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask. If you consider the issue to be completed please let us know so we can proceed to mark this ticket as resolved. I will try to reach you as a very last time on next Thursday 28th. After that we will mark the thread as closed

Jose A.

0 Kudos
JoseH_Intel

Hello Hassan-Engineer,

We will proceed to mark this thread as closed. If you have further issues or questions just go ahead and submit a new topic.

Jose A.

0 Kudos