Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2846 Discussions

SCS Add-On for Microsoft SCCM unable to install

SOCon1
Beginner
1,866 Views

Whilst trying to install SCS add-on i get the following in the log: SCCMConfig.Domain.SCCMProbingException: Cannot detect SCCM Installation folder. Attempted: D:\SMS

 

How can I get this to point to my actual SCCM installation?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TKrem1
New Contributor I
813 Views

I've got the same problem here.

 

It seems that the Add-on-Installer checks the first entry it finds in the

hklm\Software\Microsoft\SMS\Components\SMS_Site_Component_Manager\Component Servers

Path.

 

I our case there are three entrys and the first is a Reporting-Server and not our Primary-Site.

 

In the reporting-Server Folder the Installation Directory is set to D:\SMS.

 

After renaming the Regfolder of the Reporting-Server for testing, the Add-On started but now gives the error message that the Hardware-Inventory is not updated but the sms_def.mof is imported already.

In our first Test-scenario without any other servers the installation worked just fine.

Perhaps you can confirm this observation and check if you have the same case?

A work around could be to install the Add-on on a single testserver, look at the created collections and tasksequences and implement them by hand. Not funny but it seems to work for us.

0 Kudos
GPole1
Beginner
813 Views

Thanks for the reg entry. We also have multiple component servers and the first in the list was a plain deployment point, so I edited the "Installation Directory" value and made it the same as my Site server's "Installation Directory" value. The installation worked and completed. I then set the DP's "Installation Directory" value back to what is was. I did not get an error with Hardware like you did.

Thanks,

Greg Polen

Texas A&M University

0 Kudos
idata
Employee
813 Views

Thanks for the information provided, it pointed me in the right direction but did not solve my issue.

I ended up using procmon to determine the process below and implement a solution that worked for me.

The Installer will ...

  1. Enumerate all subkeys in the path above [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SMS\Components\SMS_Site_Component_Manager\Component Servers]
  2. Sort all subkeys by length and then name [SITE-FSP1.domain.com is Index0, SITE-MP1.domain.com is Index1 and SITE-PS1.domain.com is Index2]
  3. Look for both components in each Index in sequence and stops as soon as it finds the first match. [SMS_EXECUTIVE and SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER]
  4. Reads Installation Directory string for path

To resolve my issue I created a new subkey called SITE-AAA1.domain.com and populated with the details below..

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Components\SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER\Component Servers\SITE-AAA1.DOMAIN.COM\Installation Directory

Type: REG_SZ

Data: E:\Program Files\Microsoft Configuration Manager [Change this to your installation folder]

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Components\SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER\Component Servers\SITE-AAA1.DOMAIN.COM\Components

Name: SMS_EXECUTIVE

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SMS\Components\SMS_SITE_COMPONENT_MANAGER\Component Servers\SITE-AAA1.DOMAIN.COM\Components

Name: SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER

Hope this helps the next person and saves them some time.

Intel, please use SMS_SITE_CONTROL_MANAGER instead of SMS_MP_CONTROL_MANAGER since not everyone keeps the default distribution point created during install on the primary site server.

0 Kudos
Reply