Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2835 Discussions

SMS 2003 Add-On + SMB Mode - Is remote management possible?

idata
Employee

Hi All.

My environment:

SMS 2003 SP3 + AMT Add-On 5.0.2.8 (No SCS)

Single test PC, HP DC7900 provisioned in SMB (Basic?) mode

I have the SMS Add-On configured with the username and password set up on the test PC. I can web browse to the AMT page on the test PC and the credentials I configured work. Power management etc. works as expected.

My question:

When I try to examine the PC using the SMS console the only option available is to check if the PC is AMT enabled (which when I choose the option reports that the machine is enabled for AMT). Is this expected behaviour? Should I be able to inventory, reset etc with this set-up or do I need a full SCS installation and Enterprise type provisioning? I've spent some time browsing various PDFs but nothing I've read gives an explicit answer.

Thanks in anticipation

Stuart.

Stuart Squibb

IT Department

Isle of Wight NHS Primary Care Trust, UK

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Brian_Cockrell
Employee

Stuart,

You can use SMS with Intel AMT in SMB or basic mode and get the same functionality as enterprise mode albeit with less security. You will need to make a few changes in SMS to get this to work.

In SMS, Right click on collections->Select All Tasks->Select Intel(R) AMT Tasks->Add-on Settings->Select Setup and Configuration Tab. Select the External Setup and Configuration radio button and then select HTTP Digest Authentication.

Enter the username and password that you selected when provisioning your system and select apply.

Right click on collections->Select All Tasks->Select Intel(R) AMT Tasks->Add-on Settings->Select the Security Tab. Uncheck "Enable Intel(R) AMT security connection (TLS).

Thanks to Dan B for helping test this out.

-BC

idata
Employee

Thanks for the reply, but what you've suggested is how I'm already set up. The only Right-Click option I get is "Check for Intel(R) AMT Support".

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

can you please send SMS log that captures "Check for Intel(R) AMT Support" attempt

0 Kudos