Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

UNS.exe Memory Leak?

idata
Employee

I have several systems running Win 7 Embedded w/ Q57 Express chipset that are encountering a tremendous amount of memory usage by the UNS.exe service over time. When the system first starts up UNS.exe takes up ~4MB of memory but after a week or two of uptime it swells to ~90MB. I received a report from a colleague that one system was up to ~330MB. The Management Engine software and driver are both v 6.0.0.1179. We are not utilizing AMT on these systems at all.

Is this a known issue? Any ideas?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Bruno_Domignues
Employee

Hi,

Have you tried that http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18531&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%207%2C%2032-bit*&DownloadType=Drivers latest version of driver with newer UNS.exe version? it is possible the newer version solve this problem, I'm using the newer, i.e. 6.1 and no memory leak.

Best Regards!

--Bruno Domingues

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I tried uninstalling the version that I previously had and installing the one you suggested as well as the one at this http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3334&DwnldID=18532&keyword=management+engine&lang=eng link but the driver and installation version remain the same 6.0.0.1179 after the new installations.

0 Kudos
Bruno_Domignues
Employee

Hi,

are you looking into UNS.exe file or into firmware version? the correct is look into detail into file properties.

Best Regards!

--Bruno Domingues

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Now I understand. The version I used to have for UNS.exe was 6.0.0.1189 now it matches the version you mention (6.1.0.1044). I'll keep a test system running with this new version and see if there is a memory leak.

Thanks!

Daniel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It's been 3 days since I started the test using the new version of UNS.exe and the memory usage is ~28MB. Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Bruno_Domignues
Employee

Consuming ~28MB is not a big deal, I just restated the UNS in my Windows 7 (64bits) machine and showed the same amount of memory consumed, can you run a test with http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896649 PsList and see if in fact there is a memory leak, running now and restarting the service?

First you have to find the process ID, that can be done using task manager or executing:

C:\PsList

And after you know the PID, execute:

C:\PsList -m

Best Regards!

--Bruno Domingues

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

At first I didn't understand what you meant so I restarted the process before capturing the relevant info using PSList. I then let it run overnight and captured it again.

Daniel

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry for the delayed response. This is a known issue. The best way to get a resolution, is to engage your OEM and request that they fix this issue for you.

David

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Are you referring to the OEM of the motherboard? Is this a BIOS issue?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi dansteinb,

To clarify, ME/AMT FW maintenance releases along with the updated supporting software (MEI, LMS, UNS and IMSS) are released to an OEM as a kit. I should have been more specific in my post in that OEM in this instance refers to the vendor that built your system. They provide the support for HW releated issues and consequently are responsible for providing updates to the vPro componenets in your system. That is why you need to engage the builder of your system to address this issue. It is not a BIOS issue, but some OEMs do bundle ME/AMT FW updates with a BIOS upgrade.

David

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I got a problem of UNS.exe on Window xp sp3, this service keep generating (every 6secs) a empty key to HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Digest\Hosts. It caused the system bootup need over 10mins or longer to start up. Any solution for this issue?

0 Kudos