Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2881 Discussions

Upgrading from EMA v1.12.2.0 to Intel® EMA v1.13.1.0

Hideo
Novice

Hi.

What is the procedure for vergen up from Intel® EMA v1.12.2.0 to Intel® EMA v1.13.1.0?

The Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant (Intel® EMA) Cloud Start Tool for Azure* (Advanced Template) was used to install Intel® EMA.

The download URL is as follow

Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant (Intel® EMA) Cloud Start Tool for Azure*

The version of Intel® EMA in the template was v1.12.2.0.
Therefore, we attempted to upgrade the version.

The method implemented is as follows.

・Uninstalled Intel® EMA v1.12.2.0.
・Then reinstalled Intel® EMA v1.13.1.0.
 *AzureSQL was used for SQL at that time.

Intel® EMA could be installed, but I could not remote control the agent terminal from Intel® EMA.

Therefore,
What is the procedure for a regular upgrade from Intel® EMA v1.12.2.0 to Intel® EMA v1.13.1.0.

We are waiting for your reply.
Best regards.

Hideo.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Hideo,

Greetings!

Please find the latest EMA download link and the installation guide given below with the steps for the EMA upgrade.

EMA download link :

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19449/intel-endpoint-management-assistant-intel-ema.html

Please find the installation guide in the download link given above.

Upgrading Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant (Intel® EMA) from v1.12.2.0 to v1.13.1.0 should be done carefully to ensure all configurations and settings are retained, and functionality like remote control of agent terminals remains operational. Below is a step-by-step guide for a regular upgrade procedure:

1. Preparation:
  • Backup Data: Before starting the upgrade, backup all Intel® EMA data, including the SQL database and configuration files.
  • Review Release Notes: Check the release notes for v1.13.1.0 to understand new features, improvements, and any known issues.
  1. Upgrade Intel® EMA:
  • Download Latest Version: Obtain the Intel® EMA v1.13.1.0 package from the official Intel download site.
  • Stop Services: Stop all Intel® EMA services to ensure no data corruption during the upgrade.
  1. Run the installation package for v1.13.1.0 directly on the server where Intel® EMA v1.12.2.0 is installed.
  2. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the upgrade.
  • Option 2: Manual Installation:
  1. Uninstall Intel® EMA v1.12.2.0, ensuring that the database and configuration files are retained.
  2. Install Intel® EMA v1.13.1.0.
  • Verify Database Connection: Ensure that Intel® EMA is correctly connected to the AzureSQL database.
  • Configure Settings: Verify all settings and configurations, including user accounts, permissions, and policies.
  • Restart Services: Start all Intel® EMA services and ensure they are running properly.
  1. Testing and Validation:
  • Functionality Check: Verify that all functionalities, including remote control of agent terminals, are working as expected.
  • Log Analysis: Check logs for any errors or warnings that might indicate issues.
  • Agent Terminal Check: Ensure that all agent terminals are communicating correctly with the new Intel® EMA version.
  1. Troubleshooting:
  • Review Logs: If there are issues with remote control or other functionalities, review the Intel® EMA logs for any errors.
  • Check Agent Status: Ensure the Intel® EMA agents on the client terminals are updated and running correctly.
  • Network Configuration: Verify that there are no network issues preventing communication between the server and client terminals.

Kindly let us know if you are facing any further query.

Thanks & Regards

Arun

0 Kudos
Hideo
Novice

Hi.

Arun.

Thanks for the reply.

I did it the following way you taught me.

>>

1. Upgrade Intel® EMA:
  • Download Latest Version: Obtain the Intel® EMA v1.13.1.0 package from the official Intel download site.
  • Stop Services: Stop all Intel® EMA services to ensure no data corruption during the upgrade.
  1. Run the installation package for v1.13.1.0 directly on the server where Intel® EMA v1.12.2.0 is installed.
  2. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the upgrade.

>>

When I did so, I got the following error and the update stopped.

Hideo_0-1720071080959.png

Please let me know the cause and how to fix it.

I am waiting for your reply.

Best regards.

Hideo.

0 Kudos
vij1
Employee

Hello Hideo,

Greetings!

Thank you for the update. Could you please confirm if you are using Client Control Mode (CCM) or Admin Control Mode (ACM)?

Best regards,

Vijay N.

0 Kudos
Hideo
Novice

Hi.

Arun.

Thanks for the reply.

Hideo_0-1720145293378.png

I am using the Admin Control Mode (ACM), as described above.

Hideo_1-1720145425836.png

I look forward to your answers on the causes and remedies to the above.

Best regards.

Hideo.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Hideo,

Thanks for sharing the update!

We would require a picture/screenshot of the enhanced key usage and the certification path of your PKI, secure, and root certificates.

Best Regards

Arun_Intel

Please share the ECT logs

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello Hideo,

This is a first follow up for the screen shot asked, kindly share the screen shot so that we can go ahead and analyze the issue.

Best Regards

Arun_Intel

0 Kudos
Hideo
Novice

Hi.

arun_intel

Thanks for the reply.

Please tell us how to obtain the following documents, which you request, so that there are no misunderstandings.

Or, please provide the document and page number that describes how to obtain the following documents.

>We would require a picture/screenshot of the enhanced key usage and the certification path of your PKI, secure, and root certificates.

Best regards.

Hideo.

0 Kudos
Arun_Intel1
Employee

Hello Hideo,

Greetings,

Please navigate to the certificate, where you would find three tabs (General, Details, Certification Path)

Please click on details, and scroll down to navigate for the enhanced key usage and share the screen shot.

And next you may click on the Certification Path, and click on the certificates until you get to the root certificate, and share the screen shot of that as well,

NOTE : Both the example screen shots have been added in the attachment for reference.

Best Regards

Arun_Intel

0 Kudos
Hideo
Novice

Hi.

arun_intel

Thanks for the reply.

We share a screenshot of the enhanced key usage and the Certification Path of the certificate created when the IntelEMA server was installed.

The screenshots are as follows.

・test2.nttdbxoematest.com

Hideo_0-1720548262778.png

・test2.nttdbxoematest.com

Hideo_1-1720548381793.png

・EmaMtlsWeb-ematemp

Hideo_2-1720548418676.png

・EmaMtlsSwarm-ematemp

Hideo_3-1720548559486.png

・EmaMtlsRecovery-ematemp

Hideo_4-1720548616737.png

・EmaMtlsAjax-ematemp

Hideo_5-1720548758053.png

We look forward to your reply.

Best regards.

Hideo.

0 Kudos
Arun_Intel1
Employee

Hello Hideo,

Greetings!

Thank you for sharing the screen shots,

Before we proceed, kindly confirm if you have backed up your Database and the MeshSettingsCert.

This error message usually indicates a DB access issue, hence please share the version of the SQL that you are using, and test the database connection using the EMA installer and share the screenshots.

Intel EMA Installer - database

If you are using SQL auth, check SQL username and password, Else If Windows auth, confirm the account running installer has SQL access and also confirm MeshSettingsCertificate exists.

And have you installed the Electron with the db.

Best Regards

Arun_Intel

0 Kudos
Hideo
Novice

Hi.

arun_intel

Thanks for the reply.

SQL uses the Advanced Template in the templates provided by Intel at the URL below.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19738/intel-endpoint-management-assistant-intel-ema-cloud-start-tool-for-azure.html 

Hideo_0-1720692722281.png

Below is the AzureSQL overview page.

Hideo_1-1720693030106.png

During the database connection test, the first dialog I asked about was displayed and resulted in an error.

How do I verify that the MeshSettingsCertificate exists?

the Electron is not installed with Database because it is not mentioned in Intel's official documentation.

Best regards.

Hideo.

0 Kudos
Arun_Intel1
Employee

Hello Hideo,

Greetings!

Thanks for sharing the details, we are working with our internal team and will keep you posted once we have an update.

Best Regards

Arun_Intel

0 Kudos
Hideo
Novice

Hi.

arun_intel

How about after that?

Best regards.

Hideo.

0 Kudos
Arun_Intel1
Employee

Hi Hideo,

Greetings!

We have verified this with our internal team and have confirmed that this issue is related to the database access issue.

You will have to test why their EMA installation isn't able to access the Azure SQL-managed DB. For that you may create a new user and test it if you have lost the credentials of the old one you have set EMA up with.

Kindly share your observation once done.

Best Regards

Arun_Intel

0 Kudos
Hideo
Novice

Hi.

arun_intel

Could you please tell me the procedure to test by losing the old user information and creating a new user? Also, can you tell me what to share after the test?

Best regards.

Hideo.

0 Kudos
Arun_Intel1
Employee

Hi Hideo,

Greetings!

The testing of why their EMA installation isn't able to access the Azure SQL-managed DB, must be done by you or your internal team, and to create a new user is same as how you had created the previous user during the EMA installation.

please refer top the EMA installation guide given below :

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/software/manageability-products/intel-ema-server-installation-and-maintenance-guide.pdf

Best Regards

Arun_Intel

0 Kudos
Hideo
Novice

Hi.

arun_intel

EMA v1.12.2.0 was able to create new users with no problems.

EMA v1.13.1.0 stops the installation in the middle of the process in the first place, so it is not possible to test creating a new user.

Best regards.

Hideo.

0 Kudos
Hideo
Novice

Hello.

arun_intel

How about after that?

Best regards.

Hideo.

0 Kudos
Arun_Intel1
Employee

Hi Hideo,

Greetings!

We are still working on this case and will keep you posted shortly.

Best Regards

Arun_Intel

0 Kudos
Arun_Intel1
Employee

Hello Hideo,

We are working with our internal team, and will share a necessary plan of action shortly.

Appreciate your patience on this.

Best Regards

Arun_Intel

0 Kudos