Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

VPRO lan power management

idata
Employee

Hi,

I am looking for a tool that will be able to schedule powermanagement on our network. It must discover the VPRO pc's or be able to manualy add them via IP. Then I want to configure them from that console to set shutdown times on these machines so at a certain time these PC's will be shutdown over lan.

Is there such a tool?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you, the platform sollution manager has very limited power features, similar to a web console. What I am looking for is advanced scheduling (shutting down and boot if needed) via vpro of our network. Say PC 1 18.00h PC2 22.00h regardless of operating system. So an advanced power scheduler.

0 Kudos
Omer_L_Intel
Employee

There might be tool or products that do that, but you can also run it yourself using vPro PowerShell module and Task Scheduler.

You can download the vPro PowerShell module here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21543 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21543

Then you can create scrips for power down:

invoke-amtpowermanagement $Computername -credential $Credential -operation PowerOff -TLS

('-TLS' switch may be redundant, if your machine is not TLS provisioned).

If you want a short script, you can create something like this:

$username = 'admin'

$password = 'P@ssw0rd'

$Credential = New-Object System.Management.Automation.PSCredential -ArgumentList @($username,(ConvertTo-SecureString -String $password -AsPlainText -Force))

$Computername = "myHostName.vPro.com"

invoke-amtpowermanagement $Computername -credential $Credential -operation PowerOff -TLS

Then save it as c:\temp\PS_Scripts\AMT_PowerOff.ps1.

(And for power up:

invoke-amtpowermanagement $Computername -credential $Credential -operation PowerOn -TLS

)

You need to replace '$Computername' with the actual machine name and use the proper credentials in '$Credential' (digest/Kerberos account with permissions to perform power commands).

Now add it to the task scheduler, using this command:

powershell -file "c:\temp\PS_Scripts\AMT_PowerOff.ps1"

And same for the power up, with a different schedule:

powershell -file "c:\temp\PS_Scripts\AMT_PowerOn.ps1"

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks, altough scripting would be an option, I found this program that is exactly what I need.

---------------------

Remote Computer Manager V5.01

For the latest version and additional info please visit our web-site at:

http://www.mylanviewer.com/ http://www.mylanviewer.com

For any questions, comments, or suggestions, please contact our technical support service at:

mailto:support@mylanviewer.com support@mylanviewer.com

---------------------

I have gotten AMT to work with realVNC plus and Managability Commander Tool.

but I cant get above software to work though. (getting XMLexception: Unable to initialize XML library)

This tool is actualy just what I am looking for. It can discover, can add vpro PCs can do scheduling of powermanagement and is still fairly simpel and cheap.

I cant get it to shutdown with a Vpro PC with AMT though.. I must be doing something wrong. Have a look if it does work for you as I am trying to run it from a win 7 VM on a linux machine to shutdown another linux machine via AMT. (This works fine on that VM with realvnc viewer plus and Managability Commander Tool but not with above software for some vague reason.

0 Kudos
Omer_L_Intel
Employee

I'm not familiar with this utility. I tried to play with it a bit, but wasn't very successful (I tried to access AMT with both Kerberos and digest, but none of the credentials worked). The only thing I haven't tried, is a non-TLS configuration, you can try it.

The VM should work for you. I don't think this is the problem, especially if you're saying it worked with VNC.

My current suggestion would be:

1. Ask for support from the developers of the "Remote Computer Manager". Maybe they will be able to help.
  2. Until you get an answer, you can start with the suggested scripts I provided above. You can use them until you have a more "comfortable" solution (one management console).
0 Kudos