Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2846 Discussions

"The endpoint is provisioned by other tool and Intel® EMA does not have the record.

olti
Beginner

Hi!!!

New to the intel community with 2 EMA server environment.

Endpoint in client mode was deleted from the portal, also agent was uninstalled from the endpoint.

When trying to re-enroll with EMA i get the below. Other than that, it is provisioned and i can remote in in client mode, per policy that was set...

"The endpoint is provisioned by other tool and Intel® EMA does not have the record. Please use that tool or MEBx to un-provision this endpoint first" when i look if there is a password for it , there is none. 

Why this is happening and how i can repurpose a device without haing this situation?

We reimage devices very often, so this is going to become a problem....  

0 Kudos
9 Replies
MIGUEL_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, olti,

Intel® vPro is a software-hardware technology.  The EMA agent configures the firmware of the device, uninstalling the EMA agent file and selecting Stop managing do not unprovision the endpoint.

The process is the following:

1. Access the EMA web console.
  2. Select the endpoint.
  3. In Actions, select Provisioning.  The new window displays the Unprovisioning option.
  4. Then, there are 2 options.

a) Uninstall the current EMA agent file, before rebooting the endpoint. 

b) Do the reimage of the operating system.

We can review the provisioning status of the endpoints by running the Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant Configuration Tool (Intel® EMA Configuration Tool).

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19805/30485/intel-endpoint-management-assistant-configuration-tool-intel-ema-configuration-tool.html

Installation:

Download and unzip the tool.

Double-click the .msi file and follow the prompts.

Run:

a-Open a command prompt as administrator (alternatively, you can run the tool from Windows PowerShell*).

b-Navigate to the installation folder (default C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\EMAConfigTool).

c-Run the command: EMAConfigTool.exe --verbose

I will gladly provide further assistance if necessary.

Regards,

Miguel C.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
olti
Beginner

Thanks for the reply but it did not help. 

Device was reimaged and then agent reinstalled....

When i look again at the portal it says, "client mode control" The endpoint is provisioned by other tool and Intel .......

How do you fix such a situation? It should be a way to nuke the device of the portal and then reset device, so it can be re-managed  

Best!

0 Kudos
MIGUEL_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, olti,

I suggest trying to fix the issue with any of the following options:

1- Install Intel® EMA Configuration Tool (ECT) on the endpoint.

Navigate to the installation folder (default C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\EMAConfigTool).

Run the appropriate command.

a- Admin Mode: EMAConfigTool.exe --unconfigure --password <AMT admin password of the 1st EMA instance>

b- Client Mode: EMAConfigTool.exe –unconfigure.

2- Access the MEBx BIOS of the endpoint and do a Full Unprovision.

I am sending an excellent work from a third-party company, it explains with pictures the procedure.

How To: Unprovision vPro

https://forums.ivanti.com/s/article/How-To-Unprovision-vPro?language=en_US

3- Using the Power Shell script that we can run on the endpoint or from the server. Name of the command: Unprovision-IntelAMTOnIntelEMAEndpoint.ps1 located at Intel_EMA_API_Sample_Scripts_v1_9\PowerShell\Example Scripts

It is similar to the first option.

Intel® Endpoint Management Assistant (Intel® EMA) API Sample Scripts

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19693/30076/intel-endpoint-management-assistant-intel-ema-api-sample-scripts.html

Remember to Stop managing the endpoint at the EMA web console before installing the new EMA agent file.

Regards,

Miguel C.

0 Kudos
olti
Beginner

Hi,

You are saying use the "password <AMT admin password of the 1st EMA instance>"  ??

I do not believe there is such a password for me to type, if the endpoint is removed, the password is gone from the portal too.

Best, 
Olti

0 Kudos
MIGUEL_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, olti,

If the endpoint was previously provisioned in Client Control mode, you can use the second option:

EMAConfigTool.exe --unconfigure

Bear in mind the endpoint was provisioned before reimaging the OS. The endpoint firmware keeps the information even after deleting the endpoint from the EMA web console and uninstalling the EMA agent file. The best way to avoid this issue is to access MEBx BIOS and perform the Full unprovisioning.

Regards,

Miguel C.

0 Kudos
olti
Beginner

Hi Miguel,

Having to touch each computer's bios/firmware manually and especially at remote locations is not a long-term solution. Especially when end users do not have access to BIOS> 

EMAConfigTool.exe --unconfigure did not "un-provision" the computer. When i re-install the EMA agent we are back to where we started, same message.

Removing the cmos battery will get this sorted out or that is not an option?

So far this product is more trouble that benefit  

Best, 
Olti

0 Kudos
MIGUEL_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Olti,

Removing the CMOS battery is an option, it will unprovision the endpoint.  Some OEMs give the option to turn off AMT from the regular BIOS; this procedure resets the AMT configuration.

All the options above, plus doing the unprovision from the MEBx BIOS are necessary if the endpoint was reimaged before doing the unprovisioning from the EMA web console.

Regards,

Miguel C.

0 Kudos
olti
Beginner

Will try the CMMOS option and check what other options dell has for the AMT to be turned off via a BIOS package or something.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MIGUEL_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, Olti,

Thank you for your update, I will wait for the outcome.

Regards,

Miguel C.

0 Kudos