Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Downgrade RealSense Firmware

AObei
Beginner

Hello,

I have a RealSense D435 with the newest 5.9.14 firmware. I was wondering if it possible to downgrade to an older firmware? Does this pose a risk on the camera hardware itself or is it safe? Could I just run an "upgrade" with an older version?

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

You can downgrade the firmware up to 20 times, after which the camera will only allow a newer firmware version than the one that is currently installed. I would advise against downgrading too far because you will re-introduce problems with the camera that were corrected in recent firmware updates. So I would advise only going a few versions back at the most.

There is not anything in the previous firmware versions that would break the camera but as mentioned above, you may experience degraded performance or be more vulnerable to certain problems fixed in newer firmwares.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

You can downgrade the firmware up to 20 times, after which the camera will only allow a newer firmware version than the one that is currently installed. I would advise against downgrading too far because you will re-introduce problems with the camera that were corrected in recent firmware updates. So I would advise only going a few versions back at the most.

There is not anything in the previous firmware versions that would break the camera but as mentioned above, you may experience degraded performance or be more vulnerable to certain problems fixed in newer firmwares.

0 Kudos
AObei
Beginner

Oh okay never knew they had it limited as well! Thanks for your help Marty!

0 Kudos
vibhu
Employee

Whats the process for downgrading the firmware? and where can i get the old firmware files

0 Kudos
vibhu
Employee

So much fun to answer your own questions 

1st : got to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/190004/Intel-RealSense-Depth-Camera-D435i

2nd: download the firmware version you want and extract the files

3rd : use realsense-viewer to upload firmware

Done

0 Kudos
MKing15
Beginner

Hello there, wondering if there is a downgrade tool available to do this or any info on how to downgrade.

Much appreciated, Melinda

0 Kudos