Items with no label
3335 Discussions

How do you select the ROI in depth frame?

CDuan2
Beginner

Hi. I am using Realsense D435 and Matlab wrapper to create the point cloud of my target object.

I can successfully detect and tracking the object from the streaming if I convert the depth_frame object into a grayscale image. However, even though I can find the exact location of the object in the image, it is hard for me to create the point cloud out of a grayscale image.

I found out that the MATLAB wrapper has a class realsense.pointcloud, which can calculate the point cloud out of a depth_frame object. I am wondering if it is possible to directly crop out the ROI from the depth_frame, or create a depth_frame object from a cropped grayscale image using the SDK.

If it is not possible, can I crop out a certain part of the point cloud by giving the coordinate?

Thank you for the help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
CDuan2
Beginner

Hey Eliza,

Thank you for the solution. I somehow didn't figure out how should I create the ​roi_sensor object. However, the problem has been solved. I managed to use get_distance function to find the depth range of the ROI, then the approximate region of the target object's points in the point cloud can be cropped out using select() function.

I am still curious how should I use the roi_sensor. It will be lovely if you can offer me some examples or references.

Thank you again for your kind help and patience.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Eliza_D_Intel
Employee
Hello CDuan2, Thank you for your interest in the Intel RealSense D435 camera. The Matlab Wrapper also contains a function called roi_sensor that can help you set the region of interest. You can integrate it into your application. The code can be found here: https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/blob/master/wrappers/matlab/roi_sensor.m Thank you and best regards, Eliza
0 Kudos
Eliza_D_Intel
Employee
Hello CDuan2, Could you please let us know if you have further questions on this topic? Thank you and best regards, Eliza
0 Kudos
CDuan2
Beginner

Hey Eliza,

Thank you for the solution. I somehow didn't figure out how should I create the ​roi_sensor object. However, the problem has been solved. I managed to use get_distance function to find the depth range of the ROI, then the approximate region of the target object's points in the point cloud can be cropped out using select() function.

I am still curious how should I use the roi_sensor. It will be lovely if you can offer me some examples or references.

Thank you again for your kind help and patience.

0 Kudos
Eliza_D_Intel
Employee
Hello CDuan2, Unfortunately, in this moment there are no examples available that contain roi_sensor, but we have forwarded your request to the RealSense Team. Thank you and best regards, Eliza
0 Kudos
chiacos
Beginner

Dear Eliza,

I would like to see some examples that contain roi_sensor class in MatLab to set the region of interest directly in the Intel RealSense  camera (I have D415 and  D435) Are still not available?

Please, let me know. Chiara

0 Kudos