Items with no label
3335 Discussions

How should I calibrate the camera's Intrinsic parameters?

fzhen8
Beginner

Excuse me, I have an Intel realsense d415 depth camera in my hand. I tried to calibrate it,so I downloaded the operation manual 《Intel ® realsense D400 series calibration tools - User Guide》 from the official website. I noticed that the manual said: 'Dynamic Calibration is optimizing extrinsic parameters and Intrinsic parameters such as distortion, field of view, principal point are not dynamically calibrated'.

Does this mean that Intrinsic parameters cannot be calibrated?If it can't be calibrated, will this affect the accuracy of the camera? Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

There is a special OEM version of the Dynamic Calibrator software aimed at manufacturers and engineering departments that has the ability to calibrate both intrinsics and extrinsics. It is available as part of Intel's OEM calibration system, which costs $1500 USD due to the cost of producing the large physical calibration chessboard.

https://store.intelrealsense.com/buy-intel-realsense-d400-cameras-calibration-target.html

Alternatively, if you do not need the board and you are an Intel Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA) customer then you may be able to request the software on its own from your Intel representative.

Overall though, calibration of intrinsics is not something that 99.9% of RealSense users have to be concerned about. It is calibration of extrinsics that has the most effect on image quality.

0 Kudos
fzhen8
Beginner
Thank you!Do you mean that the intrinsic parameters are factory set and we don't need to change them? Where can I see the camera's intrinsic and extrinsics parameters?------------------ 原始邮件 ------------------
0 Kudos
fzhen8
Beginner
OK,Thank you very much!------------------ 原始邮件 ------------------
0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Yes, intrinsics and extrinsics are set in the factory. Although instrinsics can be calibrated if you have the software to do so, there is usually no need to do it.

You can view the extrinsics and extrinsics of the camera in detail using a tool called sensor-control, as described in the link below. The discussion describes its use with the SR305 camera model but it should work the same with the 400 Series cameras.

https://github.com/IntelRealSense/librealsense/issues/5134

0 Kudos
fzhen8
Beginner
Excuse me, thank you for your help in realsense camera dynamic calibration. Now I have a question. Can I choose to change the resolution and FPS of the camera during dynamic calibration, for example 1280 × 720 × 30 to 640 × 480 × 30. Because I need the resolution and FPS of the camera in my work is 640 × 480 × 30, if the resolution and FPS cannot be set during dynamic calibration, then dynamic calibration does not seem to make sense. I wish you a happy life!
0 Kudos