Items with no label
3335 Discussions

I got meself an old NUC, and it doesn't show anything on the bootup. No BIOS no nothing. Fan runs, LED is on and nothing. I have a memory inside 4GB DDR3 - 1333 and SSD ASENNO mSATA Mini PCIe 120GB CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?

MWolf27
Beginner

nuc dc3217iye core i3-3127u

0 Kudos
16 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

When you power on, what does the LED on the power button do? Specifically, does it flash in the first few seconds. If so, how many flashes?

What is the part number for the SODIMM you have installed and where did you install it? Have you tried the other SODIMM slot?

What monitor do you have connected? How is it connected?

...S

0 Kudos
MWolf27
Beginner
  1. steady blue light
  2. tried both slots, Crucial ddr3 1333 pc3 10600 sodi
  3. hdmi on my samsung tv, it has only hdmi outputs
  4. checked voltage inside, shows the right 5V on the pins, BUT there is no power in USB - keyboard does not lit (and it works elsewhere)
  5. rj45 only one green led blinks

Thank you

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Need the full part number for the SODIMM.

..S

0 Kudos
MWolf27
Beginner
0 Kudos
MWolf27
Beginner
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What cables/dongles/adapters are involved in monitor connection? What Samsung TV?

0 Kudos
MWolf27
Beginner

I do not know the model. It's 10yo. Um55 series I beielive. 1080p​

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @MWolf27​ 

1. Try to boot your NUC with minimum hardware (i.e. with the SSD removed). See if you can see POST messages on screen
  2. Check if the Bios Setup Configuration Jumper, installed between pins 2-3, you can see the setup. Please refer to Technical Product Specification, pages 46-47
  3. You can also recover your Bios with the Bios Setup Configuration Jumper removed:
  4. Prepare USB stick fully formatted to FAT32 with Bios file GK0069.bio  . Format your USB with Quick Format option unchecked. Do not format your USB in MAC (OS) or Linux machine. Use Windows. Use USB 2 memory stick, since your NUC has only USB 2 compatible ports.
  5. Disconnect the power adapter and remove the bottom panel from your NUC.
  6. Remove the Yellow Bios Security Jumper.
  7. Insert the USB with the GK0069.bio file into rear USB slot.
  8. Reconnect the power adapter and power ON the NUC. Wait 30 sec - 2min. The Recovery process will start automatically and will end after 2 -5 minutes.
  9. When bios recovery is completed, press and hold the Power Button to switch the power OFF, remove the power adapter and replace the Security Jumper (pins 1-2) .
  10. Power your NUC ON.
  11. You may reset Bios setting while the Bios jumper is installed in between pins 2-3.

Leon

0 Kudos
MWolf27
Beginner

Nope, that didn't work. Followed your instructions, but nothing happened. Perhaps it is because no power in USB ports. And maybe ports in general (hdmi)?

But what would cause that?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Did you used USB 2 stick?
  2. Was the USB stick fully formatted to FAT32?
  3. Did you checked in other USB ports (there are three USB ports in your NUC).
  4. You can try to recover Bios using iflash utility:
  5. Download and extract GKPPT10H.86A.0069.BI.zip.
  6. Prepare bootable USB 2 stick. You may use Rufus for this.
  7. Copy to this USB both downloaded files: iflash2.exe and GK0069.bio.
  8. Prepare autoexec.bat with the following command: IFLASH2 /PF GK0069.bio . Copy this autoexec.bat file to the USB stick.
  9. Power ON your NUC, with SSD removed, Bios Setup Configuration Jumper in Normal position (1-2), the USB stick in rear USB port.

Leon

0 Kudos
MWolf27
Beginner
  1. I did
  2. yes, it took a while
  3. all three
  4. you lost me around number 6 and most definitely by 8 . How do I do that? Rufus is asking for .iso file. And how do I do autoexec.bat?

my usb has a led inside and it does not lit at all when inserted or on bootup.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. In Rufus, Boot selection, select Free DOS. Check in other computer that this USB is bootable (before coping the other files).
  2. I'm attaching the autoexec.bat file, I've created for you. Copy this file, together with  iflash2.exe and GK0069.bio to your USB. I have removed the .bat extension. Rename this file from autoexec to autoexec.bat.

Leon

0 Kudos
MWolf27
Beginner

I did all. the usb is bootable: the moment I turn my computer on, the led is flashing. But not in the NUC. it's like dead. the hdmi shows on screen like the device is turned off (no signal).

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. The flashing LED indicates BIOS update in progress. You shall wait few minutes (3-7), until LED stops flashing. Then press and hold the Power Button to switch NUC OFF.
  2. Check the video output with other HDMI cable.
  3. Check both HDMI outputs.
  4. Connect your NUC to PC monitor, rather than TV.

Leon

0 Kudos
MWolf27
Beginner

I think I wasn't precise. The USB is booting in another computer, not in NUc. In NUc nothing happens.

I guess I need to return it. Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

It is starting to sound like you have a dud unit. There were a whole bunch of these floating around on eBay.

...S

0 Kudos