Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Intel RealSense Obstacle Avoidance

MKank1
Novice

Hi,

I am currently involved in a project using the R200 camera which enables visually impaired people to navigate by avoiding obstacles. I just wanted to understand which feature to use for this purpose or if there is any other easy inbuilt method to perform this activity? If not, Is blob detection the way to go? (By identifying the amount of black to white ratios from the stream) or is there a better way to perform this activity? A method maybe to find the distance to the closest object/obstacle acquired by the camera video stream?

Please let me know.

1 Solution
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

There was a discussion on this subject a couple of months ago that may be useful to you.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

There was a discussion on this subject a couple of months ago that may be useful to you.

MKank1
Novice

Thank you for the quick response

0 Kudos
Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Manzy23,

Do you still need assistance with this thread?

-Sergio A

0 Kudos
MKank1
Novice

Hi,

I got the idea, im using C language - Do you have a different point of view as to how this could be done? If so please let me know.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

When you say you are using C, do you literally mean the original C language, or are you using C# or C++?

0 Kudos
MKank1
Novice

Yes I am using C++, sorry.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Thanks, I just wanted to clarify that point in advance for when Sergio comes back to help him to give you useful advice.

0 Kudos
Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Manzy,

We looked online and in the community for information that might be helpful for you but haven't found anything yet. We'll continue to search and if we find something that might help you with this project we'll post it here.

Regards,

-Sergio A

0 Kudos
MKank1
Novice

Hi,

That would be great. A slight side question, to create an object recognition program on the R200, is all the code in the sample source code (in the SDK) required? or is there a simpler version just to perform normal object recognition?

0 Kudos
Sergio_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Manzy23,

Thank you for your patience. We've been investigating about obstacle avoidance options on the R200. Obstacle avoidance algorithms are a feature that has not been developed for the R200. The ZR300 Dev Kit with the RealSense SDK for Linux is best suited for this type of use case.

You can see more information about the ZR300 and the SDK for Linux here:

Datasheet: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology/000023563.html

Specifications: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology/000023521.html

SDK for Linux: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/emerging-technologies/intel-realsense-technology/000023537.html

-Sergio A

0 Kudos