Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Intel VROC Hardware Key VROCISSDMOD purchased from AMAZON is not recognized by Online Intel Product Support System. by Serial Number.

JCrum3
Beginner

Okay, so, what do I do when none of the information that comes on the box works with the online Intel Product Support System?

I tried searching by Serial Number:

I tried searching by Name: VROC HD Key, VROC Key module, Key module, VROC Key.

Case details are not available in Forums today.

Today or any other day or time, Why not let other see them?

MFR: Intel Corporation | MODEL: N/A

PC: VROCISSDMOD | S/N: QSVC725I0B1Z               

VERSION#: J55733- 100 | PBA: J55903- 103

MM#: 956822         | BATCH: CNQS76S0CG

PACK DATE: 29 June 17          CARTON#: CNQSH6TCRL

UPS: 7 35858 33727 4             EAN: 5 032037 100021

On Static Bag/ Label: Over Bars

32S61AB00M0 - A3A QSVC72510B1Z

Is this the right HD VROC key module for my

ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore x299 Motherboard?

I found other VROC Key Modules listed in the Intel Store.

But you can't tell which of them, or if any of them, are for x299 boards or will works with the ASUS ROG Encore board.

The Rampage VI Extreme Encore x299 Motherboard support gave me the Amazon link to purchase the Key module that's required for RAID 1, 5, & 10.

The Intel Store Key Modules I found, only had Intel compatible product information. I couldn't find anything listed for a ROG x299 board.

I looked because I wanted to check to see if my Key showed up in the Intel Store as one for the x299 boards.

Here I am asking if anyone knows what VROC Key module in the Intel Store is the one to use with the ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore x299 Motherboard.

REASON: I brought this up because while setting up my RAID 10 in the BIOS, after following the first 2 settings steps. Set CSM to disabled and set the PCIEX16_1 to Hyper M.2 X16 (VROC).

When I F10 to Save on Exit to reboot back into the BIOS for the next steps, the system hang during POST.

I though the problem could be the VRCO HD Key Module.

INFORMATION UPDATE

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JosafathB_Intel

Hello JCrum3,

Thank you for your reply.

As mentioned in our post the Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) Hardware Key is considered a pass-thru hardware that just activates the option to create RAID 0, 1, 10, 5 as mentioned in https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/128252/intel-virtual-raid-on-cpu-intel-vroc-intel-ssd-only.html. The Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) Hardware Key does not need any additional drivers to work or to be detected by your motherboard.  

Take into consideration that with Intel® VROC moving into sustaining mode on X299 HEDT platforms, the Intel® VROC hardware Keys will no longer be actively sold to X299 customers. Please use Intel® RST instead which does not require a hardware key.

Regarding the website not showing the VROC key by using the markings in the box, it is expected since it is just a license in a key and in case that you need assistance related to warranty or a problem with this product as mentioned in the website you need to contact us directly.

We are able to check the serial number and validate that the information that is on the package is correct and that your key is the Intel® VROC – Intel SSD Only, Ordering Code VROCISSDMOD that is the proper key for the X299 systems.

Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) Hardware Key should not cause any problem in your system if it is set up properly by following your OEM guidelines.

We encourage you to contact ASUS* to get additional assistance regarding your current configuration or to use Intel® RST instead of Intel® VROC as recommended in our first post.

We will proceed to close this thread since you already have more than one case with our advanced technical support department related to the same topic, and we will continue to provide you with assistance in your original support ticket.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

A Contingent Worker at Intel.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JosafathB_Intel

Hello JCrum3,

Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support.

Please find the answer to your questions below:

-Yes, that is correct.

• Please review the following information:

Intel® VROC is targeted as an enterprise product, mainly for Servers and Workstations. Also, per the details found in the article “Intel® VROC Support on X299 FAQ”, Intel® VROC was enabled on X299 client platforms (see below). This initial decision was made at the time of launch in 2017. Since then, it has become apparent that Intel® RST (and not Intel® VROC) is the better product to support SSD RAID on X299 platforms, partly because of Intel® RST availability, broad SSD support and no need for an extra HW key. Intel® RST is free and it supports Intel® as well as NON-Intel® storage devices.

Intel® VROC will continue to have its HW Key licensing policies, which are more in line with enterprise product expectations. From the above explanation, we hope it’s clear that for X299 / client platforms, our customers do NOT require purchasing Intel® VROC key for RAID 0 (even with NON-Intel® drives). Please use Intel® RST instead of Intel® VROC for RAID 0 and other things.

For more details, please review the full FAQ:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/ssd-software/VROC_Support_on_X299_FAQ.pdf

We noticed you have opened several cases with our advanced technical support department and you were referred to your motherboard OEM (original equipment manufacturer) to get further support for your platform. 

We encourage you to contact ASUS* to get additional assistance regarding your current configuration.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JCrum3
Beginner

What your VROC_Support_on_X299_FAQ.pdf link article fails to mention or provide to consumers is how to use the VROC HD key module and download the VROC (RSTe) driver & software for it..

Instead you post again the pdf link clearly intended to discourage using the Key module technologies we purchased the x299 MoBo for gaming with.

What the RST platform Intel now promotes to replace the Key, doesn't support the required VROC HD Key module that x299 Motherboards provide for RAIDS on CPU.

If you want to create a RAID0, 1, 5, or 10 or more UEFI bootable RAIDs on CPU configuration arrays, using the NVMe M.2 SSD Technology, you must use the VROC HD Key to do that.

Or more simply put, the RST platform can't do what the x299 ASUS MoBo required Key does!

Which means you need the right OS VROC Driver & App to support the Key module.

I search tried VROC key, VROC HD key, VROC Key module, etc. . .

I even downloaded the Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) and ran it.

It didn't see my key module I have plugged in on my MoBo..

Need More Support Information: Search Support screen.

My problem with the VROC Key module online support, is how the online support is layed out.

It's a maze of Categories and Sub-Categories screens.

With little of anything at all for x299 MoBo.

Select Your Product: Lists 9 categories

None I could readily say where I would think to find the Key under.

And with me believing if I find the key module, it will automatically have the drivers & software I will need to download. NOPE!

Support Home: Search specifications screens

Brand Name: - Product Number: - Ordering Code: - SPEC Code: - Code Name: I tried running through them all.

Then we see the Find Products by Features:

Processors: Server Products: Solid State Drives: RAID Products:

I choose RAID Products: Choose a Filter: Supported Devices

Supported Devices: PCIe/SAS/SATA Choose a Filter: Product Series

Product Series: Intel Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel VROC)

Choose a Filter: Board Form Factor Board Form Factor: Activation Key and I get No products matching your request were found.

I continue until I ran out of Filters to try.

So, then I go look to for the keys in the Intel Store.

And after slogging around in the store I eventually stumble onto where I see the key for Intel Virtual RAID on CPU Intel VROC SSD Only.

I came up under servers. but then you click on the Compatible Products.

Compatible Products: List only Intel based products and that's all.

Okay great! Found VROC Key but no compatibility listed for x299 MoBo download or purchase match.

And I am still left wondering why wouldn't my Intel VROC Key serial number that came on the Intel box, not be recognized by the online Product Services Support when I inserted it into the provided product by serial number screen when I was searching?

A few tickets and agents later, I received the VROC download for Win8 64-bit, and told it works with Win10 64bit OS. GREAT!

Then the only other forum builder like me to use the MoBo/ key module said the VROC Win8 won’t work with Win10.

Use the another type I can't recall at present.

Why is it so hard for Support to just give us the download link to the VROCISSDMOD VROC HD Key Module for the drivers & software for Win10 64-bit?

Why can't we simply go to downloads and find it there?

Thank You for the link to my key.

• Is this the right HD VROC key module for my Asus ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore x299 Motherboard?

-Yes, that is correct.

With the link to ID the Key we go to:

Products Home > Drivers & Software

Downloads for Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) – Intel SSD Only

Filter by: Any Operating Systems and we get this. . .

There are currently no downloads available for Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) – Intel SSD Only

My other searches end with: We did not find anything matching what you were looking for.

Hopefully Support will get a sense to see just how difficult the online support help is to navigate.

When I finally stumble my way into downloads and find RST, RSTe and VROC Download files, they have nothing for supporting x299 MoBo or show support for Win10 64-bit OS.

I’m not here posting to pretend I’m some technically savvy PC expert, far from it!

At best I know the PC basics and read to figure out the rest with online Product Support and Community Forum Help.

But I’m capable of understanding how to do most steps, like to plug the key module I bought into my MoBo where the manual shows a picture diagram where and how to.

And I know how to download drivers & software and install them.

Yeah I even know how to extract them, un-zip them.

I can go on line and read the VROC & RSTe download files, read the description, listed details, release notes. 

And after that, see that there isn’t anything specific I could find about what my Key module needs for driver software for Win10 64-bit. HELP!

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello JCrum3,

Let me add the following information to my previous answer.

What is the Intel VROC hardware key?

A6: Intel VROC is a licensed product for sale through OEMs or ODMs with a support service level

agreement. The Intel VROC hardware key is the mechanism to obtain a license to the Intel VROC

software. Certain OEMs/ODMs have platforms that support Intel VROC by adding an HW key header to

their motherboards. The Intel VROC hardware key is required to be inserted into that motherboard to

enable the RAID license. Only one key is needed per system.

As you can see the only function of the VROC hardware key is to enable the RAID license and do not need any driver.

Where can I get an Intel VROC hardware key?

A8: With Intel® VROC moving into sustaining mode on X299 HEDT platforms, the Intel® VROC hardware

Keys will no longer be actively sold to X299 customers. Please use Intel® RST instead which does not require a hardware key.

This being said we advise you to contact your motherboard manufacturer for further assistance.

Regarding the website not showing the VROC key by using the markings in the box, it is expected since it is just a license in a key and in case that you need assistance related to a problem with this product as mentioned in the website you need to contact us directly.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JCrum3
Beginner

What you say in your reply is somewhat true. The VROC HW keys are primarily for server applications and those primarily with Intel server boards.

This would be mostly why Intel Support for the VROC HW key use with x299 boards virtually doesn't exist. And lacks peripheral compatibility cross over lists for x299 boards and Windows 10 OS.

Coupled with the Intel support dodging the VROC HW key help requests with the RST platform posts and replies. IF we ask for VROC HW key support, why not provide relevant help for that.

if a RAID0 is all others users what to setup, then the RST (software) platform will work fine.

However, the reply and posts continue to act as if the VROC HW key isn't necessary or required for UEFI bootable RAIDS with the x299 motherboards. 

And then you try to suggest the VROC HW key is only for licensing doesn't really help those of us trying use for UEFI bootable RAID setups.

And true, the Driver is not for the VROC HW Key, but for the M.2 driver RAID arrays to work with Win10.

But the VROC HW Key is the reference way to find and acquire the driver & software to run the RAID Arrays it allows us to do.

The required VROC HW key module allows the VROC NVMe M.2 Technology on the x299 Motherboard to access that VROC tech ability for RAIN0, RAID1, RAID5, RAID10 for UEFI bootable RAID on CPU setups.

Something the RST platform does not.

You suggesting that the VROC HW key is only about a license is misleading and needs to be addressed, because you left out the important information that was also contained in your source reference.

That x299 motherboard REQUIRES the HW key for the NVMe VROC UEFI bootable RAIDs on CPU setups. (The technology that allow the CPU to use the M.2 drives In the RAID array to increases processor speeds for gaming)

I have contacted Intel directly by phone in fact and the issue of the Intel Online Product Support & Warranty not recognizing the VROC HW Key serial number is being addressed.

I will only address the serial number issue or problem here as half resolved. The replacement VROC HW key sent by amazon allowed the Warranty to confirm the new VROC HW key serial number with the version number.

However, the issue of why the Product Support that was linked into from the Warranty recognition screen for the HW key for support is still under review.

I'll wait for that answer before posting further on this topic.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello JCrum3,

We were reviewing your community post, which is related to the Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC), and we would like to know if you need further assistance.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
JCrum3
Beginner

JoshB_intel (Sykes-CR)

The Intel assistance is not without much resistance, but still, Intel Support is still superior to most all other product support to date that I have found.

And I don't altogether fault Intel Support, now knowing the VROC HW key module used by the X299 board gaming platform is an Intel product primarily intended for server applications.

I get that the required VROC HW key for the X299 Motherboards for its NVMe VROC technology for UEFI bootable RAID on CPU gaming applications is very new.

New in the since that M.2 NVMe technology with controller boards to stack them are starting to take off as the costs have come down.

And that Intel clearly doesn't want to support the VROC key for gaming, because it was primarily designed and intended for server use and server boards.

That the push to use the RST platform for RAIDs is being pushed.

All evidence by the total lack of Intel online support for the x299 boards. Even the Intel i9-10900 series Processor support crossover for x299 boards does exist yet.

My own best guess about why all of this has been such a nightmare to get Intel support for:

Intel products are their primary business focus. And that the x299 boards for gaming are a very tiny part of their over all business model.

My searches through Intel Online support makes it clear to anyone that Intel support is all about intel products.

At this point, I'm trying to tread a bit more softly and tone down my frustration in the hopes Intel Support will eventually be able to walk me through what I need.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello JCrum3,

Our recommendation at this point with your current configuration is to contact your OEM Asus* to get further assistance related to how to set up your BIOS settings and to get the necessary drivers and set up instructions for your Asus* board.

The Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) was designed to be used mostly with our products (Intel® NUC and Intel® server boards) it does not mean that it will not work with an OEM equipment but the recommended drivers are the ones provided by the motherboard manufacturer in your case Asus*.

Please take into consideration that we manufacture some of the components that you motherboard manufacturer uses to create his systems and we provide support for our products but when it comes to specific BIOS/motherboard we advise your to contact them directly this based on the fact that they create and modify their solution and should be the ones providing you with support for your PC.

Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JCrum3
Beginner

JoshB_Intel,

I do agree that the UEFI BIOS is an ASUS Product support issue when it comes the BIOS Drivers and Updated BIOS versions. Even the RAID Setup is a configuration ASUS should provide support help with.

However, my current BIOS issue occurred directly after I plugged the Intel VROC HW key module into the motherboard. It having a Physical Function on the board other than a Licensing one as suggested.

I had plugged the key into the motherboard plug to use the key according to the ASUS Motherboard User Manual Instructions for RAID10.

The VROC HW key bootable RAID10 on CPU setup was then started according to the ASUS motherboard RAID configuration Guide 1.1.4. steps. (Intel Support confirmed I should follow those steps for the VROC Key RAID10)

After completing those first 2 BIOS step settings, I existed the BIOS as instructed for it to save those setting and to reboot back into the BIOS again to continue with the next steps.

This was when the BIOS failed to make it back through the POST sequence into the BIOS again.

This was the same Intel VROC HW key module I later checked with Intel Online Warranty and Product Support for help with using the serial number ID.

That was when I discovered that the key serial number wasn't being recognized by the Intel Online Warranty and Product Support Services.

I contacted Intel Support about the problem. I also contacted Amazon Prime about the Intel key serial number not being recognized by Intel.

Amazon sent me a new key. The new key serial number Amazon sent was recognized by Intel Online Warranty Support.

But not by the Online Product Support Services.

Can you understand my concerns about the present UEFI BIOS issue?

An unrecognized Intel Product key was used for a VROC HW key UEFI BIOS bootable RAID 10 on CPU setup that then had a UEFI BIOS failure.

Another replacement VROC HW key is only partially recognized by Intel Online Support Services. Warranty validates the VROC HW key, but the Product Support services does not.

I never have been a real fan of coincidence. Please indulge me while I wait for Intel Support to explain why my VROC HW Key module wasn't recognized at all.

Then why the one I used when the UEFI BIOS caused it to stop working.

Then I'll contact ASUS OEM support for help with the BIOS and drivers for a fix.

I don't see much reason to fix the BIOS issues until the VROC HW key issues with Intel can be resolved. Is the Key a fake? A bootleg product? Did it cause the BIOS damage?

I'm looking to Intel to validate the VROC HW key module I will use for my RAID 10 setup before I fix the UEFI BIOS again and retry the RAID10 setup again. Call me crazy, but that's what makes sense to me.

with Regards, James.

0 Kudos
JosafathB_Intel

Hello JCrum3,

As mentioned in our post the Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) Hardware Key is considered a pass-thru hardware that just activates the option to create RAID 0, 1, 10, 5 as mentioned in https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/128252/intel-virtual-raid-on-cpu-intel-vroc-intel-ssd-only.html. The Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) Hardware Key does not need any additional drivers to work or to be detected by your motherboard.  

Take into consideration that with Intel® VROC moving into sustaining mode on X299 HEDT platforms, the Intel® VROC hardware Keys will no longer be actively sold to X299 customers. Please use Intel® RST instead which does not require a hardware key.

Regarding the website not showing the VROC key by using the markings in the box, it is expected since it is just a license in a key and in case that you need assistance related to warranty or a problem with this product as mentioned in the website you need to contact us directly.

We are able to check the serial number and validate that the information that is on the package is correct and that your key is the Intel® VROC – Intel SSD Only, Ordering Code VROCISSDMOD that is the proper key for the X299 systems.

Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) Hardware Key should not cause any problem in your system if it is set up properly by following your OEM guidelines.

We encourage you to contact ASUS* to get additional assistance regarding your current configuration or to use Intel® RST instead of Intel® VROC as recommended in our first post.

We will proceed to close this thread since you already have more than one case with our advanced technical support department related to the same topic, and we will continue to provide you with assistance in your original support ticket.

Best regards,

Josh B.

0 Kudos
JCrum3
Beginner

Josh B.,

I hope you won’t mind my reposting your reply points as a better means to more specifically address them.

As mentioned in our post the Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) Hardware Key is considered a pass-thru hardware that just activates the option to create RAID 0, 1, 10, 5 as mentioned in https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/128252/intel-virtual-raid-on-cpu-intel-vroc-intel-ssd-only.html.

I agree with you.

The key does just activate the options to create UEFI bootable RAID 10 on CPU configurations that I am seeking to use. 

But wasn’t that what the key was designed for, to use with the x299 boards requirements?

You keep addressing the Key as if the server licensing aspect of it was all it does.

Let’s face it, nobody purchased the ASUS ROG (Republic of Gamers) x299 board for a server use.

While you may certainly post repeatedly about not using the Intel® VROC hardware Key and to use the RST platform in place of it . 

It serves no purpose for helping us requesting help for it use.

Those of us with the ROG x299 boards and its requirements that we use the Key module for UEFI bootable RAID 0, 1, 10, 5 on CPU configurations, why should we not seek and expect help to use it from Intel Support?

Or here on the forum?

Josh, how come you won’t post that the RST platform supports UEFI bootable RAID 0, 1, 10, 5 on CPU configurations?

The Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) Hardware Key does not need any additional drivers to work or to be detected by your motherboard. 

If the Intel® Virtual RAID on CPU (Intel® VROC) Hardware Key does not need any additional drivers to work or to be detected by the motherboard or OS. Why then did Intel support provided me with the drivers and software for the key? Was it for nothing? Then why even have those drivers & software available for download?

From all of your repeated Forum Posts insisting we all use the RST platform and NOT the VROC Key.

Yes, I have understood all along that Intel no longer wants to continue to sell or support the Intel® VROC hardware Keys used by the x299 boards sold by other OEM’s.

The Problem those of us with X299 boards, Intel® VROC hardware keys and the specified M.2 SSDs we purchased to implement their use with a UEFI bootable RAID 0, 1, 10, 5 on CPU configurations, is that you and Intel support won’t support us in their use. As this thread and other attempts for support repeated have shown.

Does this mean that Intel does not intend to provide support for the Intel® VROC hardware Keys products already sold anymore?

Just because Intel decided to discontinue selling them? So, those of us with them are left without any Support?

This appears t be the consistent message your posted responses keep sending.

I already contacted Intel directly about the Warranty and Product support by phone and a support ticket I assumed is the one associated with this thread.

They have not responded with any explanation for why my Intel VROC hardware Key couldn’t be recognized by the Intel Online support system to valid my VROC HW key as a genuine Intel Product for support.

While you post here “We” I assume you mean Intel Support, checked the serial number is validated implies you have corrected the Online support issue.

I have not received any such validation from my Support Ticket on this issue.

Nor have I been able to get the serial number recognized by the Intel Online support system.

I followed all of the OEM guidelines setup to the letter.

And while you can of course suggest I didn’t, what remains is a system failure directly after plugging in the Intel VROC HW key module. 

The same Intel VROC hardware Key module that the Intel Online Warranty and Product Support couldn’t recognize.

Given all of my Forum Posts and Support Tickets seeking help with the use and implementation of my ASUS Encore x299 boards Intel VROC HW key module.

And now again, this post from you urging me to use the RST platform and not the VROC Key module I purchased for my x299 boards RAID configuration, along with your decision close this thread topic.

Before you Close this thread, Please provide a link to the thread the active support ticket you say as the reason to close this one. Thank You

Very Best Regards, James

0 Kudos
JCrum3
Beginner

Just so you know, Intel Support closed out both tickets for my product serial number issue with the Intel Online Product Support not recognizing it. Both without a reply or help.

And I received a support email that basically there is no product sub category for the VROC key itself, but there is one for INTEL(R) Virtual RAID on CPU.

I have to select that one while creating a new support ticket. 

So, I must start again in order to get the help I have asked for with my VROC key for Intel Support Services.

0 Kudos
JCrum3
Beginner

DO Not Close this thread Josh B.

The other threads generated have been close or no longer respond.

All the Threads with a case I have: Case details are not available in Forums today.

Not Available Today or so it would seem, any other day or time I have ever checked. Why not let the other members see them?

The Question I am waiting to get the answer for in all of the tickets and threads I have created: WHY the Intel VROC HD key I used for my UEFI BIOS Bootable RAID on CPU setup that Stopped the BIOS from POSTING.

WHY Intel Online Product Warranty Support Services System was NOT able to Validate my Intel VROC Hardware key module? This is the question that has created all of my tickets and all of my threads.

0 Kudos