Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Is it possible to calibrate a Realsense camera without a connected display using CLI?

DJons
Novice

When I read through the calibration user guide, it states that it is possible to calibrate cameras using the CLI. Though, when I ssh to the linux computer connected to the camera and try to start the calibration on a camera, I get this error message "freeglut failed to open display ''". I do not want a display connected when I calibrate, but is this necessary?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DJons
Novice

Looks like that tick-box is only available in older versions. Though, I found the problem. Another system was using the camera stream resource, meaning that the tool was not able to access it. By removing the resource usage from the other system I was then able to calibrate the camera. Thank you for the replies! :)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

My research of cases of this error not involving RealSense suggests that it is not related to having a physical display plugged in, but is instead related to a problem with initialization of OpenGL display drivers. The calibration software's user guide says "The FreeGLUT package is a convenient open source alternative to the OpenGL Utility Toolkit for displaying graphical output to the operator of the custom calibration application".

My assumption would be that if everything was working correctly, it should be generating a visual image but you would simply be unable to see the checkerboard that the camera is observing without a screen connected.

1.png

0 Kudos
DJons
Novice

I finally managed to get it all working using XQuartz. Though, when I start the calibration it gets stuck at "Start rectification". Any idea about this? Is it a bug in the v2.6.8.0 version of the dynamic calibrator?Screen Shot 2019-03-07 at 13.13.34.png

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Comparing the image that you provided to the images in the user guide, it looks as though you are missing a tick-box option called Use Target that should be above the Advanced Settings option. The guide's imagery suggests that to make this option appear, you should select the camera that you wish to calibrate from the drop-down list.

1.png

Leave the box unticked and then click the 'Start Calibration' button.

0 Kudos
DJons
Novice

Looks like that tick-box is only available in older versions. Though, I found the problem. Another system was using the camera stream resource, meaning that the tool was not able to access it. By removing the resource usage from the other system I was then able to calibrate the camera. Thank you for the replies! :)

0 Kudos