Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Is the Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6550 CPU a 64-bit or 32-bit processor? I have a PC running a 32-bit operating system, but want to install a 64-bit system in place of it. I need to know if the above processor will support a 64-bit Windows operating system.

RArno4
Beginner

My PC has the Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E6550 CPU.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

It is a 13 year old processor. On a motherboard that is 13 years old. With components that are 13 years old, and so on.

Will it run successfully? Very likely.

You do know that this means a clean/fresh install, right?

And, I do not know what you are doing for graphics - do you have an add-on card, or some chipset graphics?

In my opinion, you would be far better off with a new(er) system that sypports Windows 10.

Doc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AlHill
Super User

That processor, which is not supported on Windows 10, can run a 64-bit or 32-bit OS.

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/30783/intel-core-2-duo-processor-e6550-4m-cache-2-33-ghz-1333-mhz-fsb.html

Now, because Windows 10 is not supported does not mean it will not run.

Doc

0 Kudos
RArno4
Beginner

So, just to verify. If I want to replace my current Windows 7 32-bit OS with something like Windows 8.1 64-bit, it will install and run successfully with the aforementioned processor?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

It is a 13 year old processor. On a motherboard that is 13 years old. With components that are 13 years old, and so on.

Will it run successfully? Very likely.

You do know that this means a clean/fresh install, right?

And, I do not know what you are doing for graphics - do you have an add-on card, or some chipset graphics?

In my opinion, you would be far better off with a new(er) system that sypports Windows 10.

Doc

0 Kudos
RArno4
Beginner

Thanks for your input on this. I appreciate it.

0 Kudos