Items with no label
3335 Discussions

RealSense Capabilities with Aero RTF Drone

JLy
New Contributor I

Hey Guys

Working on getting my drone up and running and am very interested in combining the technologies shown in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lh2EiwQjJ8 IDF Shenzhen 2015 Intel RealSense Technology Partnership w/JD.com - YouTube)

with the Aero drone kit.

Some of the things I would like to be able to do:

Hover the drone a preset distance from a wall or box

Ability to measure and detect boxes - similar to how the JD.com demo

Direct the drone to fly to a identified location autonomously

Not completely sure where to start. I have read forums that discuss how to do this with just the Realsense, but I don't see much combining it with the Aero. I am looking for any suggestions, resources, examples, etc.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
50 Replies
JLy
New Contributor I

That is the mode I have been using the most - do you know if there is a way to lower the "sensitivity" or maximums on the controller?

DJI has a "basic" mode where everything is delayed and throttled down

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III
0 Kudos
JLy
New Contributor I

Marty, on my Qgroundcontrol tuning doesn't seem to affect the sensitivity of the controls - just the drone.

For example, I am trying to shorten the max "throw" of the sticks on the controller. This would probably make the drone easier to maneuver since small adjustments wouldn't send it off in random directions. I am afraid to adjust the settings because right now I know how to course correct when the drone starts flying off in a random direction.

I was initially impressed to see the real sense working in a few videos on youtube, but have quickly become discouraged as it seems the drone collides more than it flys and there is little to no documentation on how to get the real sense functional.

I know it isn't your fault Marty but you have worked hard to help me through these issues.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Apologies for the response delay, I was thinking carefully about your problem.

I wonder if the sticks would react less if you use them like game pad analogue sticks and move them by putting your thumbs on top of the sticks instead of pushing the shaft. This may be more comfy if you put a blob of something such as plastercine on top to rest the thumbs on.

0 Kudos
JLy
New Contributor I

Thanks Marty

You wouldn't believe what happened on Friday during our demonstration!

I couldn't get the drone to arm for an hour - I was getting mag errors, etc, etc. Finally after recalibrating the entire drone and all the sensors it would arm and fly.

Was able to get some flight demos except the 6' flight height was gone. Now the drone would continue to rise up no matter what I had the throttle trim set at. Nevertheless, I was able to get done what I needed.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

It's a big relief that you were able to perform your demo at work - I was concerned for you. Thanks so much for the update!

MartyG
Honored Contributor III

Support agent Intel_Jesus from the drone forum said to me about your rise: "I think he needs to check the configuration of the PX4Flow. I'm certain that behavior will not be the same if the optical flow sensor is disabled."

0 Kudos
JLy
New Contributor I

Marty - I am working with Intel_Jesus.

Unfortunately I have experienced the exact symptoms when using the internal barometer.

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I'll leave it between you and Jesus then on this particular matter, as I don't want to interfere with his support.

0 Kudos