Items with no label
3335 Discussions

Using the Realsense Unity wrapper to visualise pointcloud from Realsense color and depth ROS messages ?

ACast36
Beginner

Hello,

I am using the Realsense ROS wrapper with the Realsense D435 and am publishing the compressed color and aligned depth topics which is received by Unity .

I want to create the pointcloud in Unity (like the pointcloud example scene in the unity wrapper which works if the realsense camera is plugged into USB of the unity computer) from the received ROS color and aligned depth message data and not from the USB stream.

Is there a way that I could do this by leveraging the Unity wrapper ?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks !

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I'm not certain how to publish ROS data to the RealSense Unity wrapper. There is though a free ROS plugin for Unity that is available from the Unity Asset Store that can enable ROS data to be published into Unity.

Store

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/ros-107085

Documentation

https://github.com/siemens/ros-sharp/wiki

0 Kudos
ACast36
Beginner

Thanks for your response. That is in fact exactly the plugin I am using to get ROS data into Unity.

Although, my question is not related to how to get the data into unity. Rather once the depth and color data is already in unity, is there a way with the Unity wrapper to generate a pointcloud by using only the already received aligned depth and color data ?

0 Kudos
MartyG
Honored Contributor III

I looked very carefully at your problem. It is hard to see how to get the Unity wrapper to make use of your ROS data though. Part of the problem is the way in which the Unity wrapper renders data such as images and point clouds. Instead of showing the raw data from the camera, it converts the data into a 'material' shader object and displays that.

1.png

Unless you could convert your ROS data into a shader and load that into the RealSense point cloud generator in place of the default 'PointCloudMat' shader, I'm not sure how you could get your data into the wrapper's point cloud sample program.

0 Kudos
fwomack
Beginner

Yes there is a way. Use the Software Device in the RealSense SDK. I did it by creating a wrapper class that used two software sensors that had video streams with all the intrinsic values from the camera info topics. I then used an instance of the Real Sense Syncer class in replacement of the pipeline profile that has waitForFrames() called on it to feed framesets into the point cloud rendering pipeline. It's possible! 

0 Kudos
Ossa_1
Beginner

Hello, could you share your solution with me, I have the same problem and I am trying to do what you suggest but I have not succeeded yet

0 Kudos