Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Frustrated with documentation on MFX Encode

stian_v_
Beginner
202 Views

Hi,

I just lost many hours debugging an issue, which could have been saved by having clearer documentation and samples. In my program I used EncodeFrameAsync just as shown in samples and described in the documentation: "An ENCODE output consists of one frame of a bitstream with the time stamp passed from the input frame." As the output, I got a sequence of steadily increasing bitstream lengths: bs.DataLength starts at ~7kB and increases to ~40kB on 50th frame, even though only about hundred pixels change between consecutive frames (it's a synthetically generated frame sequence). bs.DataOffset was also zero after each SyncOperation.

The video was also corrupted in a strange way (though the frames had some resemblance to the input) during playback with VLC player or Windows players. I based my code on simple_encode_vmem.cpp, i.e., synchronous encoding of one frame at a time, i.e., no async operations in flight.

I found out that the problem was that my program did not set bs.DataLength to 0 after extracting the bitstream for each frame. Nowhere does the documentation mention that mfxBitstream is an input-output argument to MFXVideoENCODE_EncodeFrameAsync, and resetting of this field is "hidden" away in a different file in the tutorials.

So, as I see it, there are two problems:

  1. Documentation is unclear: it implies that the BitStream argument to EncodeFrameAsync pertains only to a single frame.
  2. A possible bug: even though i forgot to set bs.DataLength to zero before calling EncodeFrameAsync, bs.DataLength was increased after SyncOperation, but bs.DataOffset was set to zero!

​I am using the SDK version API level 1.19, installed as "Intel(R)_Media_SDK_2016.0.2​" on a Windows 10 machine. I have also observed the same behavior on Linux.

0 Kudos
0 Replies
Reply