Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3066 Discussions

What's the maximum compression ratio for h264 and h265 encoding now?

yu__luo
Beginner

Well, in my situation, my encoding configuration is:

resolution=3840x2160

target bitrate=500kbps

fps=30

codec=h264

RC mode=CBR

And the real encoded bitrate is 4000kbps. And I found some sentences in this forum that said the limit of the compression ratio is 500x.

I can understand the real bitrate is mismatched now. But I want to make sure that the limit of the compression ratio is still 500x? Is h265 encoding the same?

BTW, there is a parameter named BitrateLimit in CodingOptionValue. I tried to set it to false, and nothing changed.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Dmitry_E_Intel
Employee

For AVC case, min bitrate logic is here: https://github.com/Intel-Media-SDK/MediaSDK/blob/master/_studio/mfx_lib/shared/src/mfx_h264_enc_common_hw.cpp#L3504

Are you sure you turned off BitrateLimit? I mean did you set BitrateLimit=MFX_CODINGOPTION_OFF (not "=false")?

As for HEVC, I don't think MediaSDK has similar limit logic.

BTW, you always can get internal (actual) MSDK parameters by GetVideoParam function and check if MSDK made any tuning to initialization parameters.   

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Dmitry_E_Intel
Employee

For AVC case, min bitrate logic is here: https://github.com/Intel-Media-SDK/MediaSDK/blob/master/_studio/mfx_lib/shared/src/mfx_h264_enc_common_hw.cpp#L3504

Are you sure you turned off BitrateLimit? I mean did you set BitrateLimit=MFX_CODINGOPTION_OFF (not "=false")?

As for HEVC, I don't think MediaSDK has similar limit logic.

BTW, you always can get internal (actual) MSDK parameters by GetVideoParam function and check if MSDK made any tuning to initialization parameters.   

0 Kudos