Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

libmfxsw64.dll VPP erroneous artifacts

celli4
New Contributor I

Using the sample 'simple_6_decode_vpp_postproc' from the latest tutorials by Jeffrey Mcallister, I am seeing noisy/buggy video being output.

I have not modified the tutorial example, I am using it as-delivered.

I have isolated the problem.  Using hardware  mode (-hw) does not show the problem.

Also, using the tutorial simple_2_decode does not exhibit the problem.

I am using the following .BAT script to exhibit the problem. This tutorial sample resizes to 50% by 50% so use NV12 160x90 with your YUV viewer.

rem problem seen on Xeon E3 1225 v3   / Windows x64  / hw driver 10.18.14.4080 
rem problem witnessed with      libmfxsw64.dll  4.13.6.21
rem problem witnessed with      libmfxsw64.dll  6.14.11.28

rem THIS CREATES THREE FILES, ONE WITH ERRONEOUS  ARTIFACTS, AND TWO WITHOUT

simple_decode_vpp_pp.exe -hw  "E:\w\BigBuckBunny_320x180.264" good.bbb180.sw.nv12.yuv
simple_decode.exe -sw  "E:\w\BigBuckBunny_320x180.264" good2.bbb180.sw.nv12.yuv
simple_decode_vpp_pp.exe -sw  "E:\w\BigBuckBunny_320x180.264" bad.bbb180.sw.nv12.yuv

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for giving us a detailed analysis to look into. simple_6_decode_vpp_postproc has a known limitation mentioned in the tutorial release notes. Copied from there "Working with SW Media SDK library simple 6 decode vpp postproc tutorial may produce artifacts (no artifacts should be observed on HW library)."
We are hoping to fix the problem in the future releases. 

Thanks,
-Surbhi

0 Kudos