Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

QuickSync - H.264 patent licensing fees

Mike_B_1
Beginner

I am developing an application which will use Intel Quick Sync hardware encoder for H.264 encoding.

I will only be using the Quick Sync hardware encoder and not Quick Sync software encoder or any other software encoders. If Quick Sync hardware encoding is not available on the machine, the application will not work.

My question is: Do I have to pay H.264 patent license fees to MPEG LA for distributing this application or does Intel cover that for me?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

License fees are not covered by Intel.  We provide the tool and technical support.  It is up to you to comply with any obligations to other parties like MPEG LA.

0 Kudos
Mike_B_1
Beginner

But I don't actually have an encoder in my application, it just sends data to the Quick Sync hardware encoder embedded in the Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge and Haswell processors. My users already paid for their computer hardware and I presume Intel has already paid required patent license fees to MPEG LA and other parties for distributing the hardware encoder in the first place.

In any case, unless I'm completely mistaken here, then my conclusion must be, that since my application does not contain or incorporate any encoder, then I should not have to pay any patent licensing fees to MPEG LA.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Intel has no blanket agreement with MPEG-LA like you describe.  It will be best to take this discussion to them.  We can help you to get your application working, but questions on distribution obligations are beyond what we can answer.

0 Kudos
Forsythe__Kenneth

Mike B,

Did you ever get a definite answer on the h264 royalties? I am in a similar situation where we want to use Intel QSV H264 hardware encoder and am unsure if we will have to license or pay some royalties for the encoding.

Ken

0 Kudos