Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12597 Discussions

Downloading ELF process failed. Connected system ID is also not found.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I'm using Altera 15.1.0.185 Lite Edition software to do a simple project using MAX10 FPGA, which consists of NIOS II Processor, on chip memory and Jtag UART in Qsys. Compilation is successful and the project is also built in Eclipse. While running project to the target device in eclipse, i'm getting an error "DOWNLOADING ELF PROCESS FAILED". 

with reference to the previous discussions, i added system id peripheral in qsys to check whether the expected system ID is connected. While running the project through NIOS II Hardware, the error is " Connected system ID has not found on target at expected base address". By ignoring Mismatch system ID and System timestamp and clicking on 'SYSTEM ID PROPERTIES' in Target configuration tab, what i'm getting is  

'connected system id : not found'  

'connected system timestamp : not found' 

tried to access through nios ii command shell, The response which i got from commands 1.)nios2-download -g <file_name.elf> && nios2-terminal 2.)jtagconfig -n are attached as images. Please check all the images. 

If anyone knows to solve this, please help me asap.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Maybe the processor is in reset, because of some mistakes in the reset-chain of your qsys-project, please doublecheck also correct clocks.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just to check, but are you sure that your Nios2 system is really being instantiated on the top-level module of the design ?  

This could explain the inexistence of any ID loaded at the physical target.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You are getting a file not found error for your elf file. Check that the file is there. If it isn't, look at the error messages you get when building. Check that full file permissions to write to the directory where your project is.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

You are getting a file not found error for your elf file. Check that the file is there. If it isn't, look at the error messages you get when building. Check that full file permissions to write to the directory where your project is. 

--- Quote End ---  

While building project, there is no error. elf file is generated whenever the project is built. Only thing is "DOWNLOADING ELF PROCESS FAILED" :(
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

But the same project is running in others system without any error and the output exists in NIOS II console also..

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Just to check, but are you sure that your Nios2 system is really being instantiated on the top-level module of the design ?  

This could explain the inexistence of any ID loaded at the physical target. 

--- Quote End ---  

Nios II has been instantiated in top module. same project is running in others system without any error and the output exists in NIOS II console also.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Please provide any others solutions :(

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You may want to use signal-tap connected to some logic to see if the clock is working and the reset is released...

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

There is a FTA on sysid and timestamp failure at: http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/fta_nios_ii_verify_fails_for_system_id_and_timestamp 

Hope it helps.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It was problem with NIOS reset. After providing active low reset to NIOS, it is working fine. :) Thanks all for helping..

0 Kudos