Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

Nios II/e clone

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I wrote a Nios II/e CPU clone in verilog. 

It takes between 600 and 800 LEs and executes most of the instructions in 4 cycles. 

It comes with an ISS and a trace tool. Verilog simulation are possible under the free "verilator" tool. 

I am wondering if Altera would allow me to publish this IP. 

What do you think ? 

Regards, 

Frederic
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello, 

I wrote a Nios II/e CPU clone in verilog. 

It takes between 600 and 800 LEs and executes most of the instructions in 4 cycles. 

It comes with an ISS and a trace tool. Verilog simulation are possible under the free "verilator" tool. 

I am wondering if Altera would allow me to publish this IP. 

What do you think ? 

Regards, 

Frederic 

--- Quote End ---  

Just a follow-up : I have created an SOPC builder component for Quartus 9.1sp1. 

If I activate the "Instruction Custom Master" interface under the Component Editor, the custom SOPC component does not show up under SOPC builder. 

Here are the signals declaration in the top level: 

// Nios II Custom Master output ncm_cm_reset, output ncm_cm_clk, output ncm_cm_clk_en, output ncm_cm_start, input ncm_cm_done, output ncm_cm_n, output ncm_cm_dataa, output ncm_cm_datab, output ncm_cm_a, output ncm_cm_b, output ncm_cm_c, output ncm_cm_readra, output ncm_cm_readrb, output ncm_cm_writerc, input ncm_cm_result,  

Is this a known bug of Quartus 9.1 ? It looks like I will be obliged to declare the interface as a "Conduit". 

Best regards, 

Frederic
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I have added a big endian option in the core. 

Is there an easy way to tell GCC to generate big-endian code ? 

Regards, 

Frederic
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Look at the gcc sources, it might need a recompile. 

Howver I'm not sure how well non 32-bit Avalon slaves will work on a BE system. 

You are likely to end up in the 'mess' of ppc - where io accesses to on-chip resources all need byteswapping.