Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12609 Discussions

Updating hardware defs in eCos

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! 

I have build an eCos library, and I've been using it successfully. 

The fact is that I need to add some peripherals to the Nios2, and I would like to preserve the current eCos configuration. Is there any way to run the nios2configtool and "import" the current eCos configuration, thus having the new peripherals (and/or new addresses of the old ones), and the configuration of the previous project? 

Thanx 

Alex Bueno
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you restart nios2configtool and supply your updated PTF file on the command line, then reopen your saved project - that should do the trick for you.  

To be on the safe side, I'd recommend you also delete your install directory, and then regenerate it by selecting: 

Build->Generate Build Tree 

Build->Library 

in configtool. This will make sure you flush out any old configuration data. 

If you want to keep your existing project, and start a new one for the new hardware, then just copy your old .ecc file to a new location and open that. You should then run: 

Build->Generate Build Tree 

Build->Library 

as before. 

The only values that won't update automatically are those that you have previously edited manually. For example if you have changed your .text section to be in a memory section other than the default, then it will continue to be in that section (even if it no longer exists), so you may need to fix things like that up by hand. If this is required than you should get an apropriate configuration error to warn you.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you! 

That's what I've been doing until now, but without changing the hardware defs. Only in order to change some eCos params 

I read in the eCos for NiosII basic tutorial that if you change your hardware defs, you should open the nios2configtool with the new ptf and configure it again, so I was afraid that if I tried to re-open the new ptf with the previous project, it would assign the addresses of the old project (somewhere saved in the .ecc). 

Thank you again! 

aLeX
0 Kudos