Nios® II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.

missing socal folder

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi! 

I will be using DE1-SOC board for my bachelor's degree and Im learning on how to use it. I noticed that user's manuals are for version 13 of Quartus and current version is version 15. I have already encountered some differences that puzzled me but I managed to solve them with a bit of googling. Now Im at FPGA-HPS project and I get an error from command shell: 

$ makearm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc -static -g -Wall -IE:/Programs/altera/15.0/embedded/ip/ altera/hps/altera_hps/hwlib/include -c main.c -o main.o main.c:6:25: fatal error: socal/socal.h: No such file or directory # include "socal/socal.h" ^ compilation terminated. make: *** Error 1 

I noticed that there are now two folders there: soc_a10 and soc_cv_av, which both include the missing files. What do these two folders mean? Which one should I use? Do I fix the header to match the new folder configuration? 

Thank you for help!
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

TO_BE_DONE

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

TO_BE_DONE

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The new 15.0 makefiles for hwlibs expect the ALT_DEVICE_FAMILY variable to be set to "soc_cv_av" or "soc_a10".  

ALT_DEVICE_FAMILY ?= soc_cv_av 

CFLAGS := -g $(OFLAG) -Wall -Werror -std=c99 $(MULTILIBFLAGS) -I$(HWLIBS_ROOT)/include -I$(HWLIBS_ROOT)/include/$(ALT_DEVICE_FAMILY) -D$(ALT_DEVICE_FAMILY) 

ALL_HWLIBS_SRC = $(wildcard $(HWLIBS_ROOT)/src/hwmgr/*.c) $(wildcard $(HWLIBS_ROOT)/src/hwmgr/$(ALT_DEVICE_FAMILY)/*.c $(wildcard $(HWLIBS_ROOT)/src/utils/*.c)) 

On the CFLAGS, you need to add the soc_cv_av or soc_a10 directories to the includes with -I and define either -Dsoc_cv_av or -Dsoc_a10. The ALL_HWLIBS_SRC variable above finds all the .c files in all the directories.
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you very much for help! The instructions seem to be for version 13 and I was a little bit confused by some changes.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to make the my_first_hps-fpga tutorial given in altera de0 nano soc cd. firstly i got above same error that was with social file. now get another error as below. i tried above lines 

CFLAGS := -g $(OFLAG) -Wall -Werror -std=c99 $(MULTILIBFLAGS) -I$(HWLIBS_ROOT)/include -I$(HWLIBS_ROOT)/include/$(ALT_DEVICE_FAMILY) -D$(ALT_DEVICE_FAMILY) 

ALL_HWLIBS_SRC = $(wildcard $(HWLIBS_ROOT)/src/hwmgr/*.c) $(wildcard $(HWLIBS_ROOT)/src/hwmgr/$(ALT_DEVICE_FAMILY)/*.c $(wildcard $(HWLIBS_ROOT)/src/utils/*.c)) 

in make file but now i get another error. 

$ make 

arm-linux-gnueabihf-gcc -g -Wall -Werror -std=c99 -I/include -I/include/soc_cv_av -Dsoc_cv_av -c main.c -o main.o 

main.c:5:19: fatal error: hwlib.h: No such file or directory 

# include "hwlib.h" 

compilation terminated. 

make: *** [main.o] Error 1
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you manage to solve the problem G.Ornil ? I have the same problem.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Changes to the make file are in red - define ALT_DEVICE_FAMILY, then in CFLAGS statement add -D definition. Still assumes include statements have /soc_cv_av added to them. 

TARGET = hps_gpio#  

CROSS_COMPILE = arm-linux-gnueabihf- 

CFLAGS = -g -Wall -I ${SOCEDS_DEST_ROOT}/ip/altera/hps/altera_hps/hwlib/include -D$(ALT_DEVICE_FAMILY) 

LDFLAGS = -g -Wall  

CC = $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc 

ARCH= arm 

build: $(TARGET) 

$(TARGET): main.o  

$(CC) $(LDFLAGS) $^ -o $@  

%.o : %.c 

$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c $< -o $@ 

.PHONY: clean 

clean: 

rm -f $(TARGET) *.a *.o *~
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I still have the same problem. :'(

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

I gave up using linux, you can use nios 2 or HPS for soc fpga. still nios 2 is easier it has many tutorials than HPS
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

I have the same problem
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I have the same problem 

--- Quote End ---  

Hello, 

I have the same problem and can not find a solution although I have followed everything closely in this discussion. 

I am using a DE0-Nano-SoC board and I wanted to bring the demo-Software in the Folder  

SoC/Beispiele/HPS_CONTROL_FPGA_LED/software up and running.  

Error: 

In file included from main.c:7:0: 

D:/intelFPGA_pro/18.0/embedded/ip/altera/hps/altera_hps/hwlib/include/hwlib.h:56:2: error:# error You must define soc_cv_av or soc_a10 before compiling with HwLibs 

# error You must define soc_cv_av or soc_a10 before compiling with HwLibs 

main.c:8:25: fatal error: socal/socal.h: No such file or directory 

# include "socal/socal.h" 

Has anyone found a solution? 

Many Thanks in advance, Reinhard
RRuiz5
Beginner

Working Makefile for 18.1 version

TARGET = my_first_hps   ALT_DEVICE_FAMILY ?= soc_cv_av   SOCEDS_ROOT ?= $(SOCEDS_DEST_ROOT)   HWLIBS_ROOT = $(SOCEDS_ROOT)/ip/altera/hps/altera_hps/hwlib     CROSS_COMPILE = arm-linux-gnueabihf-   CFLAGS=-g -Wall -D$(ALT_DEVICE_FAMILY) -I$(HWLIBS_ROOT)/include/$(ALT_DEVIVE_FAMILY) -I$(HWLIBS_ROOT)/include/ -I $(HWLIBS_ROOT)/include/soc_a10/         LDFLAGS= -g -Wall CC = $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc ARCH= arm   build: $(TARGET)   $(TARGET): main.o $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) $^ -o $@   %.o : %.c $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c $< -o $@   .PHONY: clean   clean: rm -f $(TARGET) *.a *.o *~

RRuiz5
Beginner
TARGET = my_first_hps   ALT_DEVICE_FAMILY ?= soc_cv_av   SOCEDS_ROOT ?= $(SOCEDS_DEST_ROOT)   HWLIBS_ROOT = $(SOCEDS_ROOT)/ip/altera/hps/altera_hps/hwlib     CROSS_COMPILE = arm-linux-gnueabihf-   CFLAGS=-g -Wall -D$(ALT_DEVICE_FAMILY) -I$(HWLIBS_ROOT)/include/$(ALT_DEVIVE_FAMILY) -I$(HWLIBS_ROOT)/include/ -I $(HWLIBS_ROOT)/include/soc_a10/         LDFLAGS= -g -Wall CC = $(CROSS_COMPILE)gcc ARCH= arm   build: $(TARGET)   $(TARGET): main.o $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) $^ -o $@   %.o : %.c $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c $< -o $@   .PHONY: clean   clean: rm -f $(TARGET) *.a *.o *~

This Makefile is working for me

HThie5
Beginner

@RRuiz5​ it the soc_a10 similar to the soc_cv_av (aka Cyclone V as on the de0 nano board) ?