Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

Clock frequency for uClinux?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was just wondering what frequency is typically used/required for uClinux running on a Cyclone? I ask because I'm running into some problems with networking running at 66 MHz. I'm finding that usign an Opencores MAC, I am getting TX Buffer overruns - this is on custom hardware. It happens when I try to cat a large file using telnet for example... things like FTP and HTTPD seem to work ok though. I tried the same setup on an EP1C12_eval board, and it did the same thing more or less.. 

I am using an initramfs kernel, sothe filesystem is readily available in SDRAM... One interesting thing is that when I use the eval board and actually mount the filesystem in flash as root, it doesn't happen - one theory would be since it's not available as fast in Flash, it won't overrun the TX Buffers. But when it's in RAM, filesystem data is available a lot faster, so it has the potential to overrun maybe?? If I increase the frequency on the eval board 72Mhz, it doesn't happen - I can't do this on my custom hardware since I can't get the fmax that high. 

What do you guys typically use?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

originally posted by jdhar@Dec 4 2005, 12:51 PM 

i was just wondering what frequency is typically used/required for uclinux running on a cyclone? i ask because i'm running into some problems with networking running at 66 mhz. i'm finding that usign an opencores mac, i am getting tx buffer overruns - this is on custom hardware. it happens when i try to cat a large file using telnet for example... things like ftp and httpd seem to work ok though. i tried the same setup on an ep1c12_eval board, and it did the same thing more or less.. 

i am using an initramfs kernel, sothe filesystem is readily available in sdram... one interesting thing is that when i use the eval board and actually mount the filesystem in flash as root, it doesn't happen - one theory would be since it's not available as fast in flash, it won't overrun the tx buffers. but when it's in ram, filesystem data is available a lot faster, so it has the potential to overrun maybe?? if i increase the frequency on the eval board 72mhz, it doesn't happen - i can't do this on my custom hardware since i can't get the fmax that high. 

what do you guys typically use? 

<div align='right'><{post_snapback}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=11318) 

--- quote end ---  

--- Quote End ---  

nm... figured it out - had to change the read size and write size http://forum.niosforum.com/work2/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif
0 Kudos