Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++

De2-70

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

Can I get working Linux with MMU on DE2-70 board, if I have quartus web edition? 

I followed the instruction here - blog.csdn.net/pkuyjxu/archive/2010/05/24/5620897.aspx 

I think, that my problem is howto create new sof file with quartus WEB EDITION, when I made the changes in sopc builder like is showed in the quick quide and I try to compile the project in quartus web edition, it is not created new sof file, or only time limited sof. How can I get uClinux with mmu and all de2-70 board hardware working, if I have only latest WEB EDITION version of quartus? 

Thank You 

Thank You
0 Kudos
15 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The Webedition from Quartus is not able to create a SOF File which is not time limited or at least the window from Quartus must be opened when you work with the board. So if you don't want a time limitation or don't want to let the Quartus open you have to buy Quartus. 

Urmel
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank You for the reply, but I can not get the linux working with the time limited sof. Can not someone provide me with a working sof with mmu design and fpga.h files? Thank You

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You have to be more precisely in formulating exactly what doesn't work. Without more information nobody can help you.  

When you do what I have written before then you don't have a problem running uClinux on the board. As far as I know the .sof file works for an hour. When you don't want to have the limitation your Quartus has to be opened all the time you work on the board. 

There is also a sample for your board on the altera wiki. 

http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/tryoutuclinux#for_de2-70_dev_board 

Urmel
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

At first thank you for your response. 

Well, I was able to run Linux on the board, when I used the sof and ptf original files from the demonstrations, but when I generated new ptf and sof using the web edition quarterus software, Linux isnt booting, or I cannot download the Linux Image into de2-70 borad (If I only generated new time limited sof and ptf and didnt change anything in the demostration project). I of course keep the window with sof configuration running. 

So thats, why I think the Linux Image isnt possible to use with time limited sof file for some reason.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

to me it sounds like a problem with your whole fpga configuration in Quartus, i.e. base addresses and names of the components. You probably get the message that verification on downloading the image fails. You have to check if the base address from your RAM is the same which is displayed during the download process.  

You should try renaming and changing the addresses of all the components in quartus for your own made ptf file to the one in the DE2-70 example. 

Or better reconfigure the kernel from uclinux distribution.  

Urmel
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Well, but I get this same result, when I tried to build the original demonstration project (without any changes), then I recompiled kernel with the ptf file and when I configured the borad with original sof file, everything was working, but if I configured it with time limited sof (from the same project without changes) then it didn't work

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I don't know what are the differences between your sof file and the one from the project but there has to be a difference. As I wrote before it would be very helpful if you post the failure message. Nobody but you can see the message. So helping you is not possible.  

Of course you can't use the ptf file from the example project and your own sof file. The two files must match. So either use ptf and sof from example or both from your own generated. When you use your own files you have to default the kernel settings in 'make menuconfig' 

Urmel
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

OK, here is exactly what I did 

Opened DE2_70_NIOS_HOST_MOUSE_VGA demonstration project in quarterus, then I opened SOPC builder and generated new ptf file and the recompile the project in quarterus. 

Then I recompile kernel using the newly generated ptf file and configured the borad with new time linited sof file (I didnt close the window) below is the output: 

Info: SRAM Object File DE2_70_NIOS_HOST_MOUSE_VGA_time_limited.sof contains time -limited megafunction that supports OpenCore Plus feature -- Vendor: 0x6AF7, Pro duct: 0x00A2 Info: ******************************************************************* Info: Running Quartus II Programmer Info: Command: quartus_pgm --no_banner --mode=jtag -o p;DE2_70_NIOS_HOST_MOUSE_V GA_time_limited.sof Info: Using programming cable "USB-Blaster " Info: Using programming file DE2_70_NIOS_HOST_MOUSE_VGA_time_limited.sof with ch ecksum 0x00E3C873 for device EP2C70F896@1 Info: Started Programmer operation at Wed Apr 13 23:39:52 2011 Info: Configuring device index 1 Info: Device 1 contains JTAG ID code 0x020B60DD Info: Configuration succeeded -- 1 device(s) configured Info: Successfully performed operation(s) Info: Ended Programmer operation at Wed Apr 13 23:39:56 2011 Please enter i for info and q to quit: 

Then I run  

nios2-download -g zImage 

Output: 

bash-3.1$ nios2-download -g zImage Using cable "USB-Blaster ", device 1, instance 0x00 Pausing target processor: not responding. Resetting and trying again: FAILED Leaving target processor paused
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, thanks. This is a problem with the time-limited-sof but not unsolvable. 

Which Quartus version do you use?  

I read that there was a problem with an old Quartus Version. Here is the link: 

http://www.altera.com/support/kdb/solutions/rd07272007_849.html 

Maybe this post helps you: 

http://www.alteraforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=81412&postcount=8 

Urmel
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, thank you for your reply, but I am using the latest quarterus 10.1 Web Edition

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, then try the second link where it is described that you mustn't press the cancel button in quartus programmer when you are writing the sof to the board. Leave it just open while starting uClinux.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am sorry, but this also isnt working. 

I am attaching my screenshot  

http://fandar-it.com/qscreen.jpg
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ok, that's strange. In your screenshot there is an error message. So you have build your Quartus project on an example shipped with your board? Have you already contacted Altera on this problem?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am sorry, the error message here from previous attempt, when I forgot to turn up the borad, but the second attempt was successful as you can see. I didnt contact altera support about this yet
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I think I can't help you any more. As your problem has nothing to do with Linux I suggest you to post your problem in a different area here on this Altera Forum. For example in the "Development Kit Related" area or "IP Discussion". I can't really say which is the best one.  

Of course you can search on the forum for your problem. I would search for "target processor not responding" or something like this. 

Urmel
0 Kudos