Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12619 Discussions

Display problem with SOPC Builder

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Greetings everyone. This may not be directly NIOS-related, but I really need the help so here goes. 

I am trying to get into NIOS II, however I am stuck at the first step: SOPC Builder. When I try to add/remove/collapse/expand components, the component list does not refresh. I must minimize and restore the SOPC Builder window every time I do an action to get the window contents refreshed. I am also unable to establish connections between the components, as the SOPC Builder won't draw any arrows or anything else on the "Connection" column. I can try randomly clicking there, and something will get connected to something else, as I can see from the error/warning/todo messages at the bottom -- if I minimize and restore the window to get it refreshed, too. However, since the "Connection" column still doesn't draw anything, I don't know what is connected to what. 

This problem exists in 3 different PCs (with completely different hardware, 2 running Windows Vista and 1 Windows XP) I use. I am using Quartus Web Edition 8.1. I tried updating graphics drivers, installing latest Java runtime environment and reducing graphics acceleration from the control panel - none of these help at all. 

I couldn't find anything at all related to this problem I'm having. I wrote this on the Altera Forums, but didn't receive a single response. I am looking forward to hearing a solution. Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Make sure there are no spaces in your project path. Also try reducing the hardware acceleration settings for your video device to see if that fixes the issue. 

I have seen the issue you have mentioned when the Windows language settings are set to Turkish. The reason behind the language issue is long winded (has to do with the 'I' character in the language) and happens with other software out there. The workaround would be to select some other language like English for example before opening SOPC Builder.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank you so much BadOmen! Changing the number/currency/date/time format to English (US) from Turkish fixed the problem for me. I didn't need to change any other regional settings. Everything is working like a charm now. 

Just for information, there aren't any spaces, special characters or characters specific to Turkish in the path name. Reducing video hardware acceleration wasn't of any help, as I stated in my original post. 

I've always used my computers with all settings on Turkish, and although I've used a variety of programs before, I've never encountered one which has issues with number format preferences - until I met SOPC Builder. Interesting, as all other parts of Quartus work just fine with Turkish settings. Anyways, the problem is solved now, thanks again BadOmen.
0 Kudos