Nios® V/II Embedded Design Suite (EDS)
Support for Embedded Development Tools, Processors (SoCs and Nios® V/II processor), Embedded Development Suites (EDSs), Boot and Configuration, Operating Systems, C and C++
12642 Discussions

GNU ARM vs ARM toolchain (containing ARMCC)

bsp_user
Beginner

Hi,

Are there any recommendations for choosing one toolchain over the other for Arria V soc based baremetal projects?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi bsp_user

There are no significant difference between both compiler.

For general usage they are quite similar.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi bsp_user

It is a very good question.

The Arm Toolchain requires a license fee and overall a better compiler compared to the GNU ARM which is an open source compiler. Both are dedicated compiler for the Arm processor series.

You could find the difference below:

Arm Compiler (ARMCC):

• Proprietary, commercial-grade compiler developed and supported by Arm
  • Generally provides better performance and more advanced optimization techniques
  • Requires a license fee to use
  • Supports C, C++, Fortran, and assembly language

Arm GNU GCC:

• Open-source compiler developed and maintained by the GNU Project and various contributors
  • Generally not as optimized as Arm Compiler, but still provides good performance
  • Free to use
  • May take longer to incorporate support for new hardware features or optimizations
  • Supports C and C++ (and other languages through various extensions)

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
bsp_user
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

I have some follow up questions:

1. I use the Arria V SoC with ARM compiler 5. Is it recommended for my use case to use the ARM compiler 6 (or higher)?

2. What is the latest version of ARM compiler for 32bit bare metal apps? I saw only 5 and 6 in DS-Studio. 

3. Does ARM compiler is being maintained and upgraded regularly?

Thanks

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi bsp_user

We would recommend you use either ArmCompiler 5.16 or Linaro 7.2.0.

The Arm Compilere is maintained by ARM, and from their website they are constantly releasing new patch.

Please note that the ArriaV board is already EOL.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi bsp_user

Do you have any question regarding the toolchain ?

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
bsp_user
Beginner

Yes, 

I just try to understand which one to choose. Are there any considerations relevant to the decision in general and bare metal projects in particular.

If there are none and both options are equal - its an answer as well.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi bsp_user

There are no significant difference between both compiler.

For general usage they are quite similar.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
bsp_user
Beginner
0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Since this thread been resolve, I shall set this thread to close pending. If you still need further assistance, you are welcome reopen this thread within 20days or open a new thread, some one will be right with you. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

If you happened to close this thread you might receive a survey. If you think you would rank your support experience less than 10 out of 10, please allow me to correct it before closing or if the problem can’t be corrected, please let me know the cause so that I may improve your future service experience.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos